How do I stop pop-up "Enter Network Password" in Outlook 2207

Discussion in 'Software' started by drcarl, Dec 25, 2013.

1. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

How do I stop pop-uo "Enter Network Password" in Outlook 2207. Running Office 2007 on Win7 x 64 with MSE for anti-virus.

I've three email accounts: yahoo, gmail, and the never used ISP's email all POP3 ... My Smartphone running Android also checks for gmail and yahoo mail.

Outlook is set for send/receive every 10 minutes. The oh so WAY too familiar pop-up box "Enter Network Password" appears intermittently and seems to be related to the Yahoo account's download/receiving process. I can close the pop-up, hit F9 to retry sending and receiving, and on all accounts all is well...for a while.

Then, it happens again....for a few days now. I increased send/receive to 11 minutes...no love.

Of course, I am interested in stopping this. It's happened before. I suspect 'changes' at Yahoo, with no more foundation for that suspicion than I have that Santa is on my roof ....still, I don't want to format C: and re-install everything only to discover that another day or two of doing nothing would have yielded the invisible fix and gotten me past all this.

Help?

and Happy Holiday

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

As your Outlook does work some of the time it's near certain the problem is external, so changing account or other settings is unlikely to resolve it. I would sit on my hands and use webmail for a week or so, see if it improves.

3. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Earthling: thank you.

Yes, it (Outlook) actually works MOST of the time. Feel free to stand on my hands in case I stop sitting on 'em.

I'll just wait (thanks for the encouragement, really)

Best,

~drcarl

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Drcarl

I would agree that the issue is likely at Yahoo's end as this very issue is a well known pita one.

I would ask what type of Yahoo account do you have is it a free normal one or paid for Plus account?

Double check the incoming and outgoing servers pop3 and smtp and the ports that they are both using, at times you can use a different one as some services have a few different servers you can connect too.

One that I've seen users try that work for Yahoo (free email) are
    Incoming Mail Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
    Use Port 465 and SSL

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Use Port 995,
    SSL and authenticate with the outgoing server.

5. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

David (et al)

I might have troubleshot? troubleshooted? it. I think it's the very, very, very old router (DLink DI-624i) . Getting a new one today because I fried the old one. (THEN I'll look at ports, etc., if needed - THANKS! -for your comment). I was unable to send an email which caused me to keep digging...

Direct connection to modem gives me snappy page loads and better other performance. Here are the details.

(Perhaps someone can learn from my experience): Intermittent internet, very odd computer behavior. [Realize that "computer behavior" can often mean "browser behavior"] Earlier my son could not properly access my WiFi on his phone. (no big deal) Gnawing at me (I get obsessed), and unable to send one email, I finally decided to shut everything down and power all back up, one-by-one...from the "wall" to the 'puter. I even pulled the cable connection to the modem AND the battery in addition to its power supply. Plugged the modem back together (battery, cable, then AC) and waited for all lights to settle down. Next, I plugged the router in and waited to have all the blinking lights settle down, but wait. There are no lights. WTF? Tested socket with another device. Noticed AC adapter is kinda hot (not ever a good sign). Tried different socket anyway. Jiggled AC connection to router while watching lights. Nothing. Now strongly suspecting router is toast (probably why sons's WiFi and my computer had connection problems).

Searched in a box I have for a Rocketfish universal power adapter for laptops for the right nipple (one that'd fit) - yeah, I know it's not a laptop, it's a router. Looks like the router needs 5 Volts AC at 2.5 Amps. That's probably about what the adapter puts out (should have checked). Plugged in adapter and ZAP spark sound led the appearance of a little smoke. Un-plugged really fast but I already knew the router is history.

I should have checked the plug/adapter polarity. Oh well. Acrid smoke smell now. Nasty. Not good to breathe; breathing shallow. Big box fan blows even now (since I started this note) to clear air. TINY amount of smoke for such a big nasty smell.

Plugged computer directly into modem and SNAPPY connection now. I betcha this will send my mail now (12:45AM). It did.

Now researching routers

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey drcarl

Wow great troubleshooting and cheers for the post as it had me smiling for all the right reasons :)

I have had good experiences with Netgear routers, have 2 still here, although I use my ISPs one at present as its quite good, nice menu options (BT Hub4)

7. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Got me a Belkin AC750. Probably more router than we need.

*sings*
    All is calm. All is bright. Round yon(der) virgin....nevermind...

Attached Files:

8. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

David,

FWIW - the Enter Network Password pop-up is back....on occasion. Outlook mail otherwise works fine, so it's really just an annoyance. Still...

It's a Yahoo Plus account.

Checked email account settings and tried all combinations of what I have, what you mentioned, and even the default (since the check box was right there, I had to try it).

When I changed type of encrypted connection from "Auto" to "SSL", the test email error read: "Your server does not support the connection encryption type...try changing it..." So, I changed it back to "Auto."

Every port/encryption setting combination different from what I have in place earned me one error or another. So, it’s all set back to those like it has been:

Incoming server is: pop.mail.yahoo.com
    Incoming server (POP3) port is 995
    checked “requires encrypted...”

Outgoing server is: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    [checked – “requires authentication” and “use same settings as incoming mail server]
    Outgoing server (SMTP) port is 587, encryption set to “Auto.”

You mentioned “...at times you can use a different one as some services have a few different servers you can connect too.” I am not quite sure if this does or does not mean something besides changing the ports as noted above?

I guess it’s back to waiting for Yahoo to do (or undo) something, and to saying “well, hello” whenever the pop-up pops up again...

9. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds