Problems reading SDHC 8GB memory card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greyfi, Jan 21, 2010.

1. greyfi

greyfi Private E-2

Hi there,

We've just returned from a month long holiday in Europe where we filled a brand new 8GB SDHC San Disk memory card with photos, and half filled the 4GB SDHC Lexar memory card that came with the camera.

When we plugged the Fuji Finepix camera into our iMac it read and imported all the photos off the (half full) 4GB card no problem, but when we removed that one and put the (full) 8GB back into the camera to import photos it says 'card not initialised' and won't read it.

When we unplug the USB cable and just turn the camera on it tells us 'memory card is full', but when we try to view the images it says 'no images'!!!!

We bought a card reader and tried that with both cards but once again it works fine with the 4GB but nothing happens at all with the 8GB!

There are definitely images on the card because when we insert it into the card reader on our Canon printer we can view them on the small LCD screen but cannot move them, only print directly and there's something like 1600 photos on that card so it's not an option!!

Were we supposed to initialise the card before we used it? It was bought brand new and this holiday was the first time we have used it. The camera doesn't seem to have that option, I have already gone through the menu.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer me on this as I am anxious to see these photos!!!!

Cheers

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome the the forum,there are two possible problems,one with the software your using to get the picture and one with the memory card itself,since the memory card is being recognised its highly unlikely to be broken so this leaves the software your using to get the pictures and since I've never owned a mac I can't help.

If you were in a windows environment or have access to a PC I would say connect the card to a card reader in a laptop or install the camera reading software into a PC and try that and depending on the version of windows try to explore to the files in windows explorer right click get pictures.

If you only have a Mac I would suggest the mac forum or look for updates for bug fixes on the camera manufacturers website.

EDIT with memory card connected to the printer and the printer connected to a PC you can navigate to the pictures,again this depends on your printer model and windows version.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

And a 3rd possibliity; the software is too old to understand that you have an 8GB SDcard, most early software and hardware had a 4GB SDcard limit, IIRC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds