Need help recovering password file

Discussion in 'Software' started by wodnik, May 13, 2004.

1. wodnik

wodnik Private E-2

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I regularly log on to a research site which requires me to input a login and password (it does not display any ***** ). I managed to automate the process by asking explorer to remember my password, so now it does it automatically which is fine. However, it is soon going to ask me to change my password and will require me to type in my existing password (which I do not remember - i thought i wrote it down somewhere but no luck). Now obviously, my IExplorer must have stored it in some kind of log file since it automates my login at present. Can anyone advise me where I can find that on my PC (is there some kind of log file with all my stored passwords, and if so how do i read it NB: since the login procedure does not display any ***, I presume the usual programs which reveal what is beneath the asterisks will not help me in this case so I need another solution). I tried calling the helpdesk to explain the situation, but they will only send it to my old e-mail address, which is no longer active, and will (quite rightly) not give me the information over the phone, so I have to retrieve it from somewhere on my computer. I am afraid that next time i run a log file cleaner or Adaware, i will wipe out the password file by accident and that will be disaster. Many thanks to whoever can help me out. - cheers

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Hi, Can't help you with your current problem unfortunately, but once you get it sorted check out Password Safe from www.counterpane.com

I have used it for years and not bothered to find anything else to try.

It's free, simple to use and you only have to remember one password to unlock the safe for access to your other passworded sites. Obviously, keep your entry password very secure and known to you only, or those you really trust. Baz

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds