Big news from WalMart

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by G.T., Aug 26, 2004.

1. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

BENTONVILLE, ARK (AP) --
    Some Walmart customers soon will be able to sample a new discount item: Walmart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up with E&J Gallo Winery of Modesto,California, to produce the spirits at an affordable price, in the $2-5 range.

While wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to throw a bottle of Walmart brand wine into their shopping carts, there is a market for cheap wine, said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I. She said: "The right name is important."

So, here we go: The top 12 suggested names for Walmart Wine:

12. Chateau Traileur Parc
    11. White Trashfindel
    10. Big Red Gulp
    9. Grape Expectations
    8. Domaine Wal-Mart "Merde du Pays"
    7. NASCARbernet
    6. Chef Boyardeaux
    5. Peanut Noir
    4. Chateau des Moines
    3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!
    2. World Championship Riesling

And the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine ...

1. Nasti Spumante

Actually my entry was "Sam's Shiraz". The beauty of Wal-Mart wine is that it can be served with white meat (Possum) and red meat (squirrel).

2. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

And they're available at Sam's club in 5 gallon jugs. (Walmart owns Sams Club)

3. G.T.

Probably standard bottles, but shrink-wrapped into a 12-pack.

4. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

out here wal-mart has to compete with "Two Buck Chuck", it's $7 dollar bottle of wine for two bucks..........when the store's get it in, they sell out quick.........wobbles

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Well, that leaves more quality wine at my liquor store, wish they had done it sooner before all the 1997 of my favorite Italian wine disappeared.

6. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

who cares if they carry wine, those folks carry GHS guitar strings :D Nothing like running to wally world on saturday with the family and picking up a few packs of strings to llast the week out. Sure beats driving way into town to the shop. lol :D

7. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Over here Walmart is Asda, sorry to say folks but they have an incredibly large and good range of wine all at 'Low Low Prices'(tm). 'that's Asda Price'(tm).

On alcohol generally the best everyday offer, Export Strength Vodka, 34% @ £8.38 = $14.90, is that a good deal?

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ahh, supermarket wine! Don't tell me you've never heard of the stuff in the US of A?

Gives a whole new meaning to the word "plonk" :D

9. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

Is this a goof?

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

No, this is a goof
    [​IMG]

11. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

the wal mart round these here parts
    aint got no supermarket in it

so we gotta skin our own tatos n meat n stuff

acctually the only thing in my town is a wal mart we get our food elsewhere

12. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Most people have drunk Gallo wine and never realized it. They're the Proctor and Gamble of wine. Check the UPC-- anything starting with 85000 is Gallo. Let's see how many I can remember: Gallo Estates, Gallo of Sonoma, Gallo Family, Frei Brothers, Marcelina, Mac Murray Ranch, Anapamu, Turning Leaf, Redwood Creek, Twin Valley, Carlo Rossi, Livingston Cellars, Peter Vella, Gossamer Bay, Black Swan, McWilliams Hanwood, Ecco Domani, Bella Sera, Rancho Zabaco, Indigo Hills, Tott's, Ballatore, Andre, Boone's, Wild Vines, Bartles and Jaymes. And let's not forget Thunderbird and Night Train.

13. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

Wow, that pretty interesting. We sell Bella Serra and Turning Leaf Chardonnay where I work.

14. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

I feel bad saying this, particularly as I actively proselitise MajorGeeks, but I don't normally drink US, (Californian), wines. Nothing political you understand, just a matter of taste. Still, 'cos it was on offer tonight got a bottle of Fetzer Sundial 2003 Chardonnay. Over here normally £6.99, ($12.55), got for £3.49), $6.23.

Seems like a good deal, not my favourite Chardonnay style I have to say,..... takes swig, but at the price, not bad:D

15. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

Don't feel bad for saying that. American wines, in my opinion, just don't cut it. I've been sold on Italian wines for a while now.

16. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

DOOBBIE
    Doobie

Doo

Those nights romancing, D**n, now you've mentioned them I've remembered all the things I was supposed to forget.

DOOBIE

DOOBIE

DOOOOOOOO

Sorry folks, Oldies joke:)

17. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

oh man the walmart by us is the closest one to detroit (about 15 miles) and gets all sorts of trash, they have daily arrests and its always packed. Oddly sams club isnt bad at all and is only about 5 miles from walmart. Walmart is a good 6 miles from me tho, I prefer the Meijer here, its much cleaner and I dont have to watch my back.

18. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

That's cause Sam's is a member's only club. ;)

19. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

yeah I guess it doesnt make sense to pay 30 bucks a year to steal from a place :)

20. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

The python is strong with monty tonight:)

21. G.T.

You get a better class of crook that way. :D

22. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

I heard a story about that on NPR. IIRC, some batches are very good while others are pretty bad. The true wine freaks (can't spell the french "Conis...." word) will buy a bottle, then crack it open in the parking lot. If it's a good batch they'll go back and buy the while lot.

Angie

23. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

That whole analogy makes me think of a Gentlemans club!

"Oh good sir, do you mind if I pilfer your tea and scons?"
    "Oh not at all, you dasterdly fellow"
    "Toodle pip old chap"
    "Tally hoe!"
    :p

24. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Connoisseur? ;)

25. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

They sell strings at Walmart? Dag, I'll have to remember that!

LOL!!

And what's wrong with that smell? It's a good smell, an "earthy" smell, a downhome smell. :D

26. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

27. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

NATCHITOCHES: pronounced nack'-a-tish

(as opposed to Nacogdoches)

(just thought you'd want to know)

28. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

bah, I refuse to go to walmart. I remember when they were proud of carrying products made in the US, now one of the biggest employers in my town is looking to move plants to china because wal mart is their biggst customer and has laid down the ultimatum that they need to make products cheaper, or they'll find somewhere else to get them.

29. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Hey,........ Capitalism, ain't payback a b***h;) :cool: :D

30. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

DH is in the grocery business, and from a vendor's perspective, Wal-Mart is one of the most honest companies around. Most grocery chains demand "slotting" fees, which just guarantees a vendor that their product will appear on a shelf. If they want to be at eye-level or on an end cap...the price goes up. Then there's advertisng co-op fees and other misc expenses...

Wal-Mart doesn't do that. Also, their buyers meet with sales people in rooms which are under surveillance, so no kick-backs can occur. These are some big reasons that Wal-Mart can offer a few cents off a can of soup.

At one time we dabbled with an idea, and Wal-Mart was the only firm that would talk to us about putting in their stores. We just called and asked, and BAM! we had an appointment to meet their buyer. THe other chains didn't even return calls. As a (prospective) small business, we were thrilled.

I tried to hate them, but cripes! Try returning anything to Target - it's a horrible experience, and their stuff is over priced to boot. OTOH, Wal-Mart doesn't care if you have a receipt.

They might demand slave labor, but they don't screw with the customers. I'm a customer.

31. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Yeah, well...just try to get a warranty replacement on tires. They either don't have it anymore and want to replace it with an off brand, or weedle out of their warranty all together. Thieves and brigands, the lot of them IMHO. (What the hell is brigand? Cool word, huh?)

32. billH

billH Master Sergeant

WalMart, quite simply, is the Great Satan. About three weeks after they "talked" to you about your idea if they "loved" your product, it would have appeared on their shelves proudly bearing the label "Made in China" and you would have gotten screwed out of your profits.

33. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

You tell 'em Bill. Wal-Mart sucks. My Aunt in law (another brigand I'm sure...darn, I truely like that word,,,,wonder what it means) used to work for them and she used to brag how Wal-Mart has the general population duped while they make their billions. ACHH, I'll shut up...brigand that I am. ;)

34. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Night all..........

Attached Files:

35. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

Well, it hasn't showed up yet, and besides, I don't think they could without Viacom's permission. It was to be a licensed product, manufactured under license to Viacom. While it's true that they could have made the same product, they couldn't have used the tie-in we would have had the rights to. And if they both screwed us...that's what lawyers are for.

It's probably easier to sue people than it is to manufacture things anyway, so that might have worked in our favor.

OTOH, I have an invention that I use here every day. My friends always marvel at it's simplicity, and insist that I could probably make a million off of it. I like to think they're right, but I don't want to play that exact game you're describing. That's the whole reason I just keep it to myself and drive a 12 year old van.

As for the rest of their policies, I know lots of disgruntled employees who have nothing good to say about them. I tend to discount that, plus I know they place little value on their employees. They're not a touchy, feely business. But I still maintain they run cleaner business practices in the area of vendor relations than any other major chain I know of.

FWIW, I rarely shop there. I hate them because their aisles are crowded and their other customers appear inbred. But they do a lot of things right from a retail perspective, and that's where their true power lies.

Angie

36. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

Well, your Aunt might take offense, if Dictionary.com is to be trusted:

brig·and ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brgnd)
    n.
    A robber or bandit, especially one of an outlaw band.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Middle English brigaunt, from Old French, from Old Italian brigante, skirmisher, from present participle of brigare, to fight. See brigade.]

37. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Truer words never spoken.:D

38. Deep Thought

Deep Thought Private E-2

We don't have WalMart in Ireland. I wish I could see what all the fuss is about. We have our own supermarkets though and darn proud of them we are. We also have a german supermarket called Lidl where one can get crates of meat for very little money. And crates of oranges. And crates of chocolate. They sell in bulk you see.

39. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Ireland doesn't have snakes either, and Wal-Mart is worse than any snake IMHO.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds