Banner Viewing

Discussion in 'Software' started by jason3333, Jan 8, 2006.

1. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

Ive had some banners created but cant view them on my pc ...can view on my laptop ok. I was told it was becuse I dont have micromedia flash installed but Ive installed this and it says it installed successfully. Anyone any ideas..Im not the best when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

It was an animated gif that was created. They told me they had clients before that couldnt view and they had to download shockwave player. I have tried that but it tells me installation was successful and I still cant view.

1. How do I check if it has in fact installed shockwave?

Like I said I can view it on my laptop fine but not my main pc. Ive got norton installed and have tried disabling that and viewing but still no joy.

Thanks

4. DavidGP

If you right click one of those .gif's and choose properties, next to Opens With, what application is listed? ( at this point you could also test by opening the gif with another graphics app if you have one installed, but right clicking the gif > choose Open With and Choose Program, then choose an app from the list, ( dont or untick Always Open With ) choose paint or download Irfanview ( free image viewer )

Which OS?

Also did you de-register any DLLs around last week or so because of the WMF exploit?

Also goto Macromedia and use the Shockwave Uninstaller, then install Shockwave 10 again from those links http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/alternates/#sp

5. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

tried uninstall and re-install bit still no joy.

Right clicking gives me following viewing options...windows picture and fax viewer, paint, internet explorer and microsoft frontpage. All these work fine.

However, my friend has posted them on a link for me to view and I cant see them ...although few people I asked can see them ok..Ive unblocked pop ads etc so cant for the life of me figure out what is going on. Its driving me bonkers!

6. DavidGP

Did you also do the un-install and re-install for Flashplayer also ( sorry forgot to mention that too ) ?

also delete temp internet folder.

also can or would you post the link to the banner so we can check, always best to actually view a problem if possible?

Which Antivirus or security software do you have and if you disable those can you view?

7. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

Hi
    Yeah I tried that. The link is http://www.advance.to/tt_banners.htm

I cant see the 1st and 3rd banners on my other pc. Im viewing on my laptop just now and can view all 4 banners fine but on my other pc only see banners 2 and 4.

8. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

sorry, forgot to say...I am using norton..have tried disabling that and viewing but still the same. Have also deleted my temp internet files.

9. DavidGP

Well sadly I see all 4 on 2 difference PCs

So there are 3 pcs?

laptop can see all images
    PC#1 can only see image 1&3
    PC#2 can only see image 2&4

weird occurance.... are all PCs running the same OS, IE version or Browser and security software?

Check all settings ( dont do #10 )
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807

10. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

just 2 pcs...laptop sees all four but my main one only views 2 and 4. All running same OS etc...although main pc has ton of junk on it! will try out link you sent just now...thanks again.

11. DavidGP

Ah gotcha I miss-read the first bit "cannot see 1&3", might be worth trying this app of to clear alot of the junk off, it removes alot from the not so easy folders to find..... CCleaner

Install and Run... choose Analyze then once analyzed run cleaner, but note: that as it deletes cookies, autocomplete, history and reciently typed URLs, so the likes of forum, email, logons and passwords will have to be entered again to restore them.

Running out of ideas for now, but hopefully all of this may jog a few more memories :)

12. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

still no joy:rolleyes:

will have a search on the net tomorrow and try again...no doubt it will be something stupid.

Thanks again.

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Go to IE Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > scroll down to Multimedia. Make sure that Play animations in web pages is checked.

Not sure which Norton product you have, but sometimes changing between versions, installing, uninstalling, can cause some issues that even disabling does not solve. Does the laptop have Norton installed?

Steve

14. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

Arrrgghhhh. Sorry guys but Im ready for a bridge jump. Ive tried everything suggested below, endless searches and read ups on various issues with IE6, have tried the microsoft IE6 knowledge base...but no joy.

When I view the source code the code isnt there for the two banners I cant view...which is probably normal give I cant view the images. Ive even tried uploading the images to another website and still I cant view them.

Im going bonkers :mad:

15. DavidGP

Shot in the dark... try resetting the Internet Security level to default.

in IE tools > Internet Options > Security ... click if not already, Internet Icon then click default at the bottom then apply ( this sould set all the settings back to a default level )

16. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Also, if you have NIS look for the Ad Blocking feature and turn it off.

You can give this a shot also:

Start, run, and type regsvr32 jscript.dll Click OK.

Start, run, and type regsvr32 urlmon.dll Click OK.

Steve

17. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

Thanks for the new suggestions...tried them and..drumroll...didnt work. Will keep on hunting for a solution on the web and if no joy its a re-install job! God damn weird.

18. DavidGP

Worth double checking these areas....

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19166#instructions

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19166

-------------------

If those options dont work then use the uninstaller I linked to in post #4 and use the full installer of Flashplayer and follow these instructions to install http://www.art-barn.com/flashhelp.html#trouble ( cheers Steve )

also and this is a last resort type option, uninstall Norton... reasoning behind this is that Norton doesnt discriminate... it blocks everything! ( having issues with it on a different PC in relation to O&O defrag and any newly installed software where it just blocks it with out warning.. but the user likes Norton, even tho un-installing eliminated the problems ) if it is NIS you have then in the depths of its settings it maybe blocking something it doesnt like in the code to those images.

even uninstall any popup blockers that are toolbar type.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds