software manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by dromano, Oct 25, 2008.

1. dromano

dromano Staff Sergeant

Hello all,

This morning I noticed an unusall icon in my systray. When I clicked on it Zone Alarm popped up saying that Macrovision software manager wants to access the trusted zone. I have never heard of this before so I denied it.

Software manager popped up and said
    New updates & messages
    Please wait. The Software Manager is locating the program updates available for your system.
    Warning: some messages may not have been delivered to you. Please contact your software vendor to obtain these updates.

Critical UpdatesDateSizeUpdate Manager Critical Update October 2008 - New *2008-10-20 2.14 MBThis update helps resolve various issues found in Update Manager. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    Don't show this again
    * - Must be installed separately from other updates.
    Important UpdatesDateSizeCritical MessagesDateSizeImportant MessagesDateSize

Has anyone ever heard of this before?
    Is it safe?

This is at the bottom of the pop up:
    Copyright© 2001-2006 Macrovision Europe Ltd., Macrovision Corporation

Thank you in advance,

Dan

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Dan

Yes had this before and Macrovision owns Installshield and at times that updater pops up, called IIRC FLEXnet or with file name of ISUSPM.exe ( so what was the file name blocked by ZA? as in the .exe )

Personally if this one is in my run hive aka startups to Windows I delete it from the Startups, can use StartupCPL to disable or delete this as its just the updater app.

Macrovision are a safe and legit company, but blocking it with ZoneAlarm will cause no issues.

3. dromano

dromano Staff Sergeant

Hi Halo,
    Many thanks for the info. I did not notice what the .exe was when ZA popped up.
    I do have ISUSPM.exe in task manager processes and will disable it.

Thanks again,
    Dan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds