Sound Drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by mauiwelsh, Dec 2, 2010.

1. mauiwelsh

mauiwelsh Private E-2

I Have A Toshiba L655S5083 that came with windows 7, i need XP on the machine but cannot find sound drivers.
    It has conexant High Def sound I believe but do not know what model.
    Toshiba are no help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Any help would be great, thanks.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, mauiwelsh.

Looks like that model has the Intel HM55 Express chipset, so try downloading and installing this file.

If you're going to run XP SP1 or SP2, you must also install the Microsoft UAA patch located here or here - if you're going with SP3, you shouldn't need the patch.

If the chipset file doesn't work, you might try running the Intel Driver Update utility once XP is installed.

3. mauiwelsh

mauiwelsh Private E-2

Thanks Caliban,

Did all that and still no luck.

I'm starting to think I'll have to get a USB sound adapter.

Anyone have any other ideas?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As your PC is a laptop you will find onboard or addition cards are near impossible to find for it, indeed you could find a USB audio solution, but maybe a workaround is to use a virtual PC from within Windows 7, keep your Windows 7 Install and then install either Sun Virtual Box or Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and then install your XP version in that virtual enviroment, it may well work fine and give you the best of both worlds.

I use virtual PCs daily and have XP, Vista, Win7, Kubuntu, Linux Mint in virtual enviroments in a Windows 7 x64 PC, works fine for backward compatability.

Just a thought and worth exploring as its free, especially as you already I guess have a licenced version of XP ready to install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds