sound card and drivers but no sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marshalpoi, Jan 13, 2011.

1. marshalpoi

marshalpoi Private E-2

Ive seen this site solve a lot of problems, and this one is driving me crazy.

the other day while i was a way from the computer, it went blue screen. the one that says memory dump.
    [​IMG]

that. I have gotten it a coupe times before in the week so i was cleaning up my computer. as an artist it gets full quickly with photoshop files and such. But when i restart the computer the sound is gone! i tried unistalling and reinstalling the realtek drivers. i tried rolling back. i tried restarting. ive used several programs that say the sound card is fine, the drivers fine, there should be sound.

I've tried head phones and speakers, the front plug and the back plug with no luck.

im using a cheap walmart computer an Insperon 531s wich i recently updated to xp service pack 3.

so, just tell me what you need me to do and ill give it a shot.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Go to control panel,admin tools event viewer and post any serious errors you find relating to either sound or video,go to control panel,device manager and see if there are any exclamation marks next to your devices,post your findings.

Is the picture in your post of your BSOD? ialmdd5.dll is part of Intel video card driver so it would appear your video card has overheated,the driver has become corrupt or there has been a video software conflict,does the error happen at any specific time?While gaming or using any specific program?

You may have installed an incompatible driver when installing SP3 so go to the manufacturer of your laptops's website 'dell I believe' and download and install the latest video card driver,also download and install the latest sound card driver from there.

Go to control panel,advanced,startup and recovery,uncheck automatically restart and choose small memory dump.

Next time your computer crashes go to C:windows/minidump inside will be a 256kb file,zip it and attach it to your next post.

If you would like to try and debug the file yourself we have a guide here.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1418737#post1418737

Welcome to the forum:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds