Dell shuts off completely before windows opens

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misty186, Nov 4, 2012.

1. misty186

misty186 Private E-2

My dad was a computer genius. He knew everything about computers and he had the most awesome computer. He was the guy to go to if anyone had problems with their comp. He passed away in 2009 and I got his computer since I was the one that helped him with it the most (he was paralyzed, so I always helped him hook stuff up and whatnot). So I've had it and its been doing fine until about 6 months ago it would say that I was running out of room on C: and, like any other non-comp geek would do, I ignored it. I mean, I would do what it would suggest, but that was about it. Then it went from that to the BSOD (blue screen of death) which I would remedy by shutting it down and rebooting it. That worked for a while. Now, when I turn it on, it tries to boot up, but after about 10 seconds, it shuts down completely. No power to it whatsoever. This comp has all of my dads stuff on it, but he was a comp genius, so he had put all of the important stuff on 3 separate hard drives and gave them to us kids. Is there any way this comp can be saved? Will it ever work again? Have I lost any of my dads stuff, that was not on the separate hard drives, forever? I need this comp to work again. What do I do? Thanks for any help with this matter.

Misty

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

As the computer is coming on start tapping F8 then choose safe mode,does your computer turn on now?If not-

I suspect straight away since it's an old computer and the problem has got progressively worse and overheat problem so that's where I'd start,hit del as the computer is booting to enter bios,go to system health and check the system temperature and cpu temperature and post your findings,leave the computer in bios for 20 mins and watch the temperatures,post the highest temperatures.

Alternatively you can go straight to cleaning out the fans,take the side of the case off check all the heatsinks for dust,blow out with canned air or remove manually with your fingers,touch the side of the case before you do this to discharge any static and DON'T clean it with a vacuum.

After cleaning check your temperatures again in bios,are they any lower? If not take the side of your case off and turn on your computer,check all your fans are spinning.

Post your operating system and the computer model,post your findings or any questions:)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds