Onboad Sound vs. PCI Sound Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YiffyWereWolf, Sep 1, 2004.

1. YiffyWereWolf

YiffyWereWolf Private E-2

Heylo everyone. I got a Soundblaster Live a few months ago and plugged it in to my mobo. Worked fine, up untill I started listening to it more closely. I noticed the background noise, or fuzz or what have you, was two or three times as great than with my onboard sound. I also noticed that the clicking sounds you get when sounds are switching rapidly were magnifyed, such as in video games. Is this suposed to happen? Thats one of the reasons I got a sound card to begin with! I e-mailed Creative but they were no help, so I just decided to be lazy and take the thing back out and go back to onboard. Would I be better off in the future getting a motherboard with a nice onboard soundcard, or would soemthing like an Audigy 2 not give me this problem?

2. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

did u try putting it in a different slot? and did u get the newest drivers for it? did you try fixing it at all? id say try putting it in a different slot and make sure u got the newest drivers, and make sure your speakers are plugged in all the way, worth a try right?

3. YiffyWereWolf

YiffyWereWolf Private E-2

Well ya, of course I tryed to fix it =P I tryed it in at least three different PCI slots and I tryed upgrading the drivers. I tryed all the drivers from Creative that possibly could work and they all said they could not find the sound card. Its an OEM Sound Blaster by the way.

4. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

i made a big rant about soundblaster cards somewhere... but i can't seem to find it... oh well, i'll type it again with you in mind:

all soundblaster cards will have the clipping and hissing sound, whether it'd be the sblive! value or the Audigy 2 ZS platinum. It's due to the fact that the DAC's don't support 44.1KHz sample rates (although they support 48KHz and multiples thereof). So what they do is put a resampler chip on the card to resample the music/game sounds from 44.1KHz to 48KHz. The chips, though, utilize a very poor algorithm for resampling (which explains the hissing and the clipping especially) and has a low-pass filter of around 15KHz (so if your speakers/headphones support 15khz and up, you won't hear it). There's no way you can fix it, since it's soldered onto the sound card. If you're really annoyed by it like i was, your best bet and pretty much the only option is to get a new soundcard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds