System Restore Windows 98

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jud149, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Could someone tell me how to do a system restore on an early version of Windows 98?

2. YooperLady

YooperLady Private First Class

If I remember right, Windows 98 did not have system restore in it. The first to use system restore came out in Windows Me. Sorry I think the only fix to Windows 98 is a reinstall of the program.

3. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Actually, I did it before, but just don't remember how. I know it's a key you push when turning on the computer. Thanks anyway.

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

There is definitely no system restore in Windows (8 or Windows 98SE.

What you may be thinking of is the registry restore function. To get to this you need to to press the F8 key before the Starting Windows 98 message appaers. You will then be given a menu from which you need to pick the boot to DOS option. When in DOS you need to type SCANREG/RESTORE
    This will give you a list of the last 5 "good" registry boots from which you can pick one to do your restore from.

HTH :)

5. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thank you for the info.

6. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Opps, I just checked and there is no DOS option. I have the early edition of '98.

7. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Umm...You should have a menu with 7 options IIRC and the DOS options are numbers 6 and 7. They are labelled as Command Prompt only

8. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I have 6; normal, logged, safe mode, step by step confirmation, command prompt, safe command prompt. When going to command prompt, I get C: etc and I don't know what to key in. Thanks for your help.

9. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Yargwel already stated what you need to type in...

10. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

As I had already mentioned (and Wavetar reminded you) at the DOS prompt ie the C:> Type SCANREG/RESTORE. If this isn't what you were thinking of maybe you can give a few more clues for the more worthy than me to work on. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds