processor swap problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coleProtocol, Nov 23, 2005.

1. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

Wow, okay, this might take a while to explain. I'm just going to tell the story.

I took my Pentium 4 processor (3 GHz) out of, let's say, computer A, to swap it with the Pentium 4 (2 GHz) in computer B, a manufactured Medion. Now, I don't have much hardware experience besides building computer A, and I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Apparently, the two processors had different socket sizes (I didn't know what a socket size was before), and both processors are now both out of their computers.

But here's where it gets tricky: you know the little lever thing you pull down to lock the processor (w/out fan) in place? How computer B was made by the manufacturer was this: they put the processor in place, and THEN they glued the fan ontop of it. Yes, so the lever was un-pull-up-able. Although the fan, with processor attached, came out of computer B easily (I don't know how it could have when it was locked in place), from what I can see, it's impossible to put it back without unglueing the processor from the fan, which I have tried to do, but stopped when it seemed the processor was going to pull itself apart.

So I tried putting the 3 GHz processor from computer A into computer B (which was my initial goal, to switch them), and it fits in fine and everything (except for the fan, since the socket sizes are different), but when I turn it on (computer B) nothing appears on the monitor, keyboard, etc. although the fans inside the computer are running.

So I don't really know what to do. I don't see any way in my head how to get the processor from computer B unglued from it's fan, or why the processor from computer A won't function in computer B. Like I said, I haven't been into hardware much, and don't know how to get myself out of this pickle besides buying a new processor, which I plan to do tomorrow if none of this works (which I hope it does, which is why I need you guys' help). Much thanks to anyone helping me with this.

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

Some specs would help alot, if you could find out the make/model/chipset/etc of the motherboards/computer of both computers. Afaik, there are three different sockets for P4s, 423, 478, and 775. and you wouldn't be able to fit any with the other without breaking the pins on the CPU.

To install a CPU you need to line up the triangle on the chip with the missing pin on the socket, at least this is the case with 478s, and I'm taking a guess that at least one of those is a 478.

Also, you might have forgotten to use thermal paste and this is very important for heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink. Clean both the CPU and heatsink mating surfaces with rubbing alcohol just before applying the thermal paste. Artic silver is a good brand to use. And you only need to use a squirt the size of a grain of rice.

Also. may I ask why you want to switch processors?

3. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

Yes, both of the processors have that little triangle at the corner, where there's no pins in a couple places. I never knew about thermal paste; is that what's holding the processor to the heatsink (is that the metal part of the fan?), or is there glue that I should apply as well?

As for specs, I don't know right now; I don't have the manual for the processor on me, but I'll know in 48 hours tops. The reason I wanted to switch processors is because "computer B" is the computer I use more, a lot more (especially for gaming), and I wanted to have the better CPU in there.

Knowing what you told me, and what I told you, do you think I should just buy a new processor for computer B, or swap the motherboards + processors between A & B? The latter would have the additional advantage of being able to add more RAM (there's only 512 in each); the motherboard currently in computer B only has two slots, and they're both filled with 256s.

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

You don't want to apply any kind of glue to a CPU. here is some artic silver which is good thermal paste. And you don't want to use glue or you will screw things up, just remember that you only need to use an amount equal to a grain of rice.

But I suspect that there is more problems here then forgotten thermal paste.

More specs would help as I don't know what motherboard you have therefor cannot comment on which you should use.

5. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

Okay, I just figured out that my motherboard is an SiS--here's exactly what it says on the motherboard:

SiS
    ©M SIS '01
    PMA1346
    0216EA A2

I don't think it matters, but the M after the © was actually in a circle too, I just couldn't find the symbol.

So are the motherboard specs enough to figure out what socket size the processor is? I have no clue how to identify which one it is. I went to the SiS website, but I can't find the "SiS 645" there. It would be under desktop PC chipsets, correct? I found a page with reviews about it, but no actual product info. I'm about to go out to get a new processor for computer B, but I can't until I know what socket size I need. Will this info explain which one it is?

6. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

After checking google the socket on your motherboard is 478, here is a link to a site i found that has product info http://www.digit-life.com/articles/sis645/

7. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to go ahead and pick up a new processor. One more question before I do: is there a difference between "Socket FC-PGA4 478-pin" and "Socket mPGA478 478-pin?" Can I use either one in a socket 478? Thanks again for both your guys' help.

8. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

AHHH!

I just spent $300 on a P4 3.4E GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB, socket PGA-478 processor. It arrived today; it doesn't function! I think I got the wrong socket...is there a difference between PGA-478 and FC-478? I'm not sure what my computer was on before, but this one certainly isn't working...the heat grill isn't the same as the previous one, and it doesn't seem like it's supposed to fit in the black thing that was on the motherboard that holds it in place. The processor itself, fan aside, fits in fine, but even without the fan attached, the computer won't do anything when turned on.

PLEASE HELP!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds