Acer Aspire 5520 (Audio problems)

Discussion in 'Software' started by flyby99, May 19, 2010.

1. flyby99

flyby99 Private E-2

Hello members of Majorgeeks.com, recently a problem arouse for me.

Recently sometimes my audio was disapearing after a computer restart, and had to RR PC a few times before it started, later on the sound disapeared completly.
    Trying to reinstall drivers didn't help at all, then I took a look on my motherboard to check if something has burned there at the audio chip or not, everything was fine.

I had forgotten of System recovery, after I recovered my system to a month earlier date, my sound was back, however after ~2 weeks sound disapeared again. My restore points where gone, so I reinstalled windows and set up drivers which worked before, however nothing worked.

Everest, unknown device finder couldn't find at any point my inbuilt sound card, yesterday tho a programm called SPeccy found it, but it still doesn't work, I have tried older / newer drivers - nothing. I always get [Code 10] that it can't start for some reason.

I have read lots of threads about several issues, however nothing really have helped so far. Well this is my last resort i guess.

Laptop - Acer Aspire 5520
    OS - Windows XP SP 3
    Sound card chip - ALC268

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In Device Manager what devices if any have a yellow ! mark next to them?

I'm just wondering if the Microsoft UAA HD Audio drivers are not installed correctly and may need re-installing, however for those with SP3 already installed they need a bit of fiddling with the registry to fool Windows into thinking it has SP2 installed, see below steps.

First install the Chipset driver from HERE then reboot and do the below.

3. flyby99

flyby99 Private E-2

Hello and thanks for the answer, I had already tried with editing regedit file and reinstalling everything and I tried it again, however it didn't work again.

My Device manager looks like this.

http://i46.tinypic.com/s241fn.jpg

The "Base system devices are"
    1. Ricoh Memory Stick Host Controller
    2. Ricoh SD MMC Host Controller
    3. Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller

Before when I didn't have these installed and after I installed drivers for them the sound started to not to work time to time at that time I didn't relate those drivers to the problem, I have.
    After system restore I had my sound back and these drivers uninstalled, however I installed them again and the sound disapeared then for good, at that time I thought that there might be some incompatibilities, that's why I haven't instlled them, however if you want me to install them, I will do it.

Legacy Audio Drivers shows Realtek High Definition Audio.

I have this laptop downgraded from WIN Vista to WIN XP (about 3 years ago and have reinstalled Windows about 3-5 times on this), it has never found sound card, I had always to install it through "Add Hardware Wizard".

After add hardware wizard my Device manager looks like this

http://i49.tinypic.com/hwy4vn.jpg

Couldn't include in picture but in Legacy Audio Drivers properties, Realtek High Definition Audio isn't shown anymore after the "Add Hardware Wizard".

Even tho mother board seems intact and there are no signs of burning or anything, I would say my sound card is dead, but if a simple system recovery did it once then I am not convinced.

"Offtopic" - If nothing works, we could try remote desktop if you have free time some day.

4. flyby99

flyby99 Private E-2

You can close the thread, problem was that Microsoft UUA BUS Driver for High Definition Audio was disabled. Thank you!
    + I think that I posted wrong an answer which I wanted to answer to you as a new thread, would be nice to delete it.

5. flyby99

flyby99 Private E-2

Hello again, it still is weird, after I restarted my computer the sound was gone again. And repeating everything from step 1 just doesn't help anymore, the UUA BUS for High Definition Audio just doesn't appear anymore in Device Manager.

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

This might well be a damaged motherboard. Sorry.

7. DavidGP

Hi

Uninstall the Audio driver/s from Device Manager, and reboot and try again, with Chipset driver first and then the Audio. from the links in the driver names.

Dont or wouldnt think that the Ricoh card reader drivers would upset anything, but you never know, maybe worth installing them again, driver HERE

EDIT: Just noticed collinsl's post and could well be, and in that vain, I would as that PC came originally with Vista, would re-install Vista and see if sound works.

8. flyby99

flyby99 Private E-2

Nope, doesn't work.
    UUA BUS thingy doesn't show up in device manager, it's a system device isn't it possible to install it somehow so it does show, or I am talking nonsense here?

9. DavidGP

Hi

No not talking nonsense at all, good question but if its not showing when you have installed it something else is critically wrong, could be corrupted files etc, I personally would be inclined to do a re-install again of Windows (what is your Windows disks version RTM/SP1/SP2 or SP3?) and just install drivers for now, dont install any software or Microsoft updates.

Start with Chipset and reboot, then Audio (if you have SP3 then you should be OK, if not install the UAA drivers first then the audio) then ethernet/lan etc

10. flyby99

flyby99 Private E-2

Hello, your idea didn't work out, however in the very beggning I had under Sound controllers something named "Microsoft UUA something something 800/600", sorry I thought it should work and installed drivers and then it just turned into Realtek High Definition Audio with a yellow exclamation mark.

You mentioned corrupted files and actually my touch pad didn't work for a while as I had pressed FN+F7 by accident and it just switched off, at that time I didn't know and really didn't care about it. However the settings persisted through windows reinstall, aka the touch pad didn't work until I pressed again that key combination and I have disabled my power button (meaning, I can turn with it my laptop but I can't switch it off with it even while holding). These settings have to save somewhere and I think they are saved into "hidden hdd" which I can see only when I am reinstalling windows where I can format my HDD, which is like 10GB and ~8GB are taking. Could it be that there some files have gone corrupted, but as far as I know that it's better to not to touch that drive or?

Think will give up soon on this issue, when I am installing the kb888111 update, it shows up even in add / remove programs, but there is no UUA stuff in device manager.

11. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Try this: click "Start", click "Run", type services.msc and press Enter. Then click the "Standard" tab in the window that opens. You might want to maximize the window to make it easier to read. Scroll thru the list and look for "Windows Audio" and possibly something else with the word 'audio' in it (I don't remember exactly; it's been a while since I've dealt with this issue in WinXP). When you get to "Windows Audio", right click it, select "Properties" and make sure it is set to "Automatic", and make sure it is Started. If not, make the appropriate changes, click "Apply", click "OK", close the window and restart the PC. Hopefully this will work for you! Be sure that the UAA driver (KB888111 which you can download separately from Microsoft using this direct link) is installed as well as your audio drivers BEFORE doing the 'services.msc' thing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds