I'm building my 1st PC...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weavalo, Dec 28, 2004.

1. weavalo

weavalo Private E-2

... and I have some questions. I bought a new ATX case, 450w PSU, AMD XP 2800+ (Barton core), Abit NF7-S2G motherboard, single Corsair DDR PC2700 512MB memory, and a Memorex dual-layer 16X DVD burner. I'm planning to use the hard drives, OS, and software (at least temporarily) from my old system.

The old system has two HDDs: a generic 15GB unit that came with the PC, and an IBM 80GB 7200rpm with 8MB buffer. The small HDD is set as my C:/ drive, with the OS (Windows ME) and all the program files. The IBM is slaved, and stores mp3s, videos, photos, and business files. I'm using just over 5GB of C:/ drive space and about 40GB of D:/ drive space. My concern is how to make the installation easiest and how to best use my existing drives. I don't have the CD for Windows ME (I'll replace it with XP shortly), and I'd just as soon toss the smaller HDD. Bearing in mind that I'm a relative novice, what's the best way to proceed?

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I would back up your entire IBM drive and all the programs and drivers you need onto DVD ... then use IBMs software to write zeros then install XP onto the blank drive ... you may want to create a seperate partition for larger files to reduce fragmentation ... or like 10-20GB for the system and 60-70GB for your files, or so, creating a directory named whatever in the second partition and use that as your "My Documents" folder

3. weavalo

weavalo Private E-2

Thanks, Pyrate, for your response.
    My DVD burner isn't installed on the old system (which is still in use). The burner's system requirements exceed the old system's capabilities, so burning that DVD isn't an option.
    Write zeros? Maybe I should have said I am a complete novice. Again, I don't have XP yet and won't until after the new PC is (hopefully) up and running.

Would this work: Copy everything currently on my C:/ drive to my current D:/ drive, then install that drive as C:/ in the new system?

4. weavalo

weavalo Private E-2

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

you're going to need a windows disk... and whatever you do dont waste your time on WindowsME... its horrible.

back up all your important files to the 80GB drive... throw the 15GB into the new system and format it with Windows--hopefully XP.

then just plug in your slave drive and you're set. you may as well keep the 15GB hard drive as a windows drive until you can get an SATA drive to put windows on.

6. weavalo

weavalo Private E-2

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds