Bad storm, now psu light blinking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pennywisezzz, Jun 18, 2012.

1. pennywisezzz

pennywisezzz Private E-2

Psu light blinking and won't turn on. Disconnected 24 pin on mobo and then reconnected and fan mounted in mobo spins fine but psu fan just pulsates and the on button and the light by the pic of 3 discs by on button both blink. If i plug in mouse or speakers they blink. Also when 24 pin is disconnected from mobo the psu light turns stn reeady but blinks again when reconnected. What gives? It's a hp model p6140f

TIA

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

3. pennywisezzz

pennywisezzz Private E-2

Tried the suggestions on the site but nothing helped. The storm had fried my modem & vonage router and I could see on the phone line on both ends it was fried. I got a modem replacement and it wouldn't work. My ISP came out and had to replace the wall jack because it was fried. He suggested that it might have fried my NIC card and maybe my motherboard is okay? What are your thoughts? Will take my computer in next week to be looked at if I cannot figure out the problem myself.

Also, I tried a new PSU and it wasn't the problem, either.

Stuck with my laptop for now, lol.

TIA.

4. pennywisezzz

pennywisezzz Private E-2

I don't know a whole lot about computer hardware but I thought if it was only the NIC card then shouldn't it only effect my internet?

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You obviously had some real voltage problems with the storm. You tired a new psu. Give this a quick try to see if it something weird with the board.

6. pennywisezzz

pennywisezzz Private E-2

Already had tried that and it didn't work. Even tried the crazy hairdryer trick and it didn't work. :cry

7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Did you have the PC plugged into a surge protector or UPS battery backup?

Does the manufacturer of the surge protector have a warranty for damages caused by voltage spikes that somehow got through the unit?

It's a longshot, but it may get you a new PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds