no sound on friend's computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by viper_boy403, May 21, 2007.

1. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ive been trying to fix my friend's computer for a while now and im totally stumped. he first had this problem after upgrading to SP2; the sound went away. uninstalled SP2, still no sound. its the realtek 97 audio and the drivers for that are installed but the problem is with the "plug and play software device enumerator" which gets a yellow "!" in the device manager. i uninstalled it planning to reinstall it but it just disappeared (oops lol)

its a 2002 compaq presario (no model # that i could find) with an athlon xp 2600+ 512mb RAM and a geforce 5200 (pretty much all from my old computer lol)

any ideas guys?

2. jkam1

jkam1 Private E-2

I did a web search on software device enumerator and got quite a few hits. Might be interesting reading.

Compaq would be the first place to go(or their current owners) and hope they have an archived section.

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

yeah i know, so did i and i read through MORE crap than i woulda liked too lol and i found that i need some registry stuff which isnt very easy to find since its so old :banghead

bugballou, thanks for the link ill check it out

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds