Dell modem-rejects digital phone line

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigtrucks, Apr 14, 2009.

1. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I was checking friends Dell desktop and tried to connect threw modem to make sure it worked before returning it. The Dell modem popped up a" Digital Line Detection" message when I try to connect threw the modem and not the ethernet cable.
    Message Reads: Digital line detected(PBX):please verify that your phone line from your computer is directly connected to a standard analog modem or fax line."
    I have digital phone service through a cable provider does it make a difference when trying to dial up?
    Also the "Modem Helper" and "Digital Line Detect" programs don't work. Any advice would be helpful.Thanks.

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

It shouldn't detect a digital signal because with your VOIP service the phone lines are still analog until you reach the cable modem. Can you be plugging into some other phone line? Remove a working analog phone and plug the modem in there.

3. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Tried that, same thing< just tried again and now it comes up with a dos looking window that says pre-dial terminal screen, inside it says "OK" and a flashing courser under the OK. when I tic on continue it comes up with ERROR 680.I even tried putting the prefix in but still the same.

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

You get the predial terminal screen because that's how you have it configured. Its meant for to to be able to give manual commands to the modem like ATH, ATDT, ATZ etc.

5. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

ok that was probably tic by accident. but i do notice that the title says Conexant HSF V92 56K Data Fax PCI Modem [Com3]I don't have or see a com3 just com1 and LPT1.

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

In your case COM1 and COM3 are the same.

7. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Thanks. I might have found the problem. As this is someone else pc. I did a new install, and when I went on line to re do the AOL (which is her ISP) I assumed it downloaded but all it did was to become an add on in my FF,as I have cable hook up. So now I have to download it to her pc. That's where she is going back to the slow start up again until I can convince her to get some RAM sticks or another pc.It's not as bad since I did a new install.
    My question is would it make much of a difference if I was to tic the Compress Drive To Save Disk Space until then?

8. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi All,

Small point but the Modem Port never shows up in System Manager except with the modem. That's because it is on the Modem Card.

Jim

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I would be selective as to what directories to compress, but that should help a space problem. It will have no effect on memory however. Just don't compress any of the directories that contain operating system program files....they will have to be uncompressed every time they are used and that will slow the machine down even more.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds