Modem/phone line problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by budtee, Nov 15, 2005.

1. budtee

budtee Private E-2

In late September, I got the new 768 kbps Verizon DSL service. I have a 4 year old desktop computer 56K modem and a new Compaq laptop with an internal modem.

At the precise time that the DSL was turned on, I became unable to dial up to my old ISP with the laptop before I even tried to connect it to the DSL. I also tried Hyper Terminal (XP Pro) and it showed no dial tone. I was still able to used the dial-up from my desktop as well as the DSL.

I then called HP tech support and spent many hours on the phone trying everything they suggested. Final answer was to send it back and they would replace the modem. They returned it back saying that it was OK and they reloaded the operating system. Same when I tried to dial-up. I again talked to HP tech support for hours and sent it back for a modem replacement which was not done. They again reloaded the operating system. I also talked to Verizon DSL tech support and my local Verizon repair people. No help.

In desperation, I took it over to my neighbors house (no DSL) and it worked!! I then took it to my Son's house about 3 miles away. He has same phone company and same DSL service I have. It worked fine there!!! Phones in my house have worked fine throughout this problem. Now DISH Network is telling me that I don't have a phone line connected to my DVR and they are going to charge me $4.99 per month extra. There is a line and it works when I plug a phone into it. DISH says probably a bad modem and they will send me a new one but it seems like too much of a coincidence.

Not my internal wiring since I disconnected all lines at the demarc point and connected the laptop with the same result.

I guess I can have DISH send me a new DVR to see if it works but I will lose about 50 hours of recordings.

Can anyone help me?

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Using any DSL filters?

3. budtee

budtee Private E-2

Yes, Filters on all telephones, ordinary modem lines, and DVR. Have tried dial-up on laptop both with and without filters.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds