blue screen - unmountable boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heyzeus, Mar 30, 2006.

1. heyzeus

heyzeus Private E-2

i get this when trying to boot from my windows disk for a repair ionstall. ever heard of it?
    thanks.

2. glug.glug.hic

glug.glug.hic Private E-2

3. heyzeus

heyzeus Private E-2

oh i'm sorry i should have mentioned it is a BLUE SCREEN error.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Any information in that BSOD?

5. heyzeus

heyzeus Private E-2

no, there really isnt. the exact error name is
    unmountable boot volume
    it occurs when i use bios to boot to the windows cd.
    my intention was to do a windows repair because i just changed ALL the hardware, new mobo, new cpu, new sound card, new memory. someone else suggested i do the windows repair just to be safe, but windows is booting and running fine.
    if i go into windows normally i cant seem to get a repair option from the win xp cd. it simply has an option to install windows, which wont run because it says my version is newer.

6. heyzeus

heyzeus Private E-2

any suggestions?

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Did you try what glug.glug.hic mentioned?

I'm suprised it is running at all with all the changes made to your system.

8. heyzeus

heyzeus Private E-2

what is suggested in the article posted above, is exactly what i did in the first place, resulting in the error.
    yes, it does run fine, which is why i dont want to do a full wipe and install, i'll lose a lot of stuff. i figure with a repair my options are better. but there has been a gazillion hardware changes since windows was installed on this drive. hell, my windows folder is 3.8 gig!

9. heyzeus

heyzeus Private E-2

although i didnt notice this before from glugglughics link:
    From this menu press "ENTER" (NOT "R") to begin the repair install.

on the screen where it says:
    press enter to install windows
    press r to repair

why would you press enter to repair if it says press r?
    i didnt try that. i was afraid to take that step because it might wipe my drive.

10. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Looks like they have skipped a screen. You only want to repair so it is Press R.

My windows folder is a bit under 1.5gig so you have got a lot of stuff in there.

If this is the only time you get the error, for now I would keep very recent backups on a cd if the worst were to happen.

11. heyzeus

heyzeus Private E-2

i just went offline and tried. i dont even get to that screen, i get :unmountable boot volume just after bios boots to cd and loads a couple drivers
    i should note if i pop the xp disk in now and it gives me an option to intall, it wont let me do that either saying my current version is newer.
    as far as backups i have 2 drives, i keep most stuff on the non-windows drive. my concern is that with a fresh install the registry will be gone and all the programs on the 2nd drive will be useless.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to recovery console and run chkdsk /r.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If it won't boot to CD, are you using RAID? You'll need to load Raid drivers when booting to CD.

For the others:

PLEASE STOP RECCOMENDING REPAIR INSTALLS AS THE FIRST TROUBLESHOOTING STEP!

If it didn't work the first time (for whatever the reason the poster was trying it), it won't work the second time either :)

14. heyzeus

heyzeus Private E-2

isnt checkdsk the same as scandisk pretty much? i ran scandisk the other day.
    and to be honest i dont know what raid is. the drives are all eide.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What kind of chkdsk?

16. heyzeus

heyzeus Private E-2

i dont know. i was referring to chkdsk/r in your post.
    but anyway, my pc boots fine, i was trying to do a windows repair from the start, and that is what causes the error.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds