Female Beefeater

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by evilfantasy, Sep 3, 2007.

1. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

The Tower Of London has a new guard.
    Just saw a piece about this on the news. Pretty cool.
    Learned some new facts I had never heard.
    Like the Ravens are protected also.
    Too bad most American traditions are done away with because they "might" or do offend someone.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I thought this thread was going to be about Gin. :D

;) jk

I agree we don't have too many traditions that stay, but how would someone be offended? My only reaction was that it kind of makes it a moot point if you are keeping the ravens there by clipping their wings.

3. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Honestly, that is all I associate the word with.

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Now come on LauraR no self respecting "Gin" drinker drinks "Beefeater". sheesh. BCGray packages up some real "Gin" to send to LauraRroflmaoroflmao

1st Female Beefeater at Tower of London

[​IMG]

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Send it on down! I need schooled.:D

lmao...she's smiling! They aren't supposed to smile! ::totally disenchanted:::( ;)

6. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Hey Laura! Wouldn't you be smiling if you were the first female Beefeater since the 15th Century? I sure as heck would be;) She'll be grinning long time!

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

@BC GRAY.

having served as a Royal Marine for many years i am very proud to have worn the uniform.

a little known fact is that they were formed as the original PRESS GANGS and are henceforth payed by the nave but swear allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen that is how they have won the right to be Beefeater's.

i had the rank but not the length of service (i was short by 4 years) to apply but i believe the waiting list is full.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2566

Composition and duties

Yeoman Warders began guarding the Tower in 1485; today there are 35 Yeomen Warders and one Chief Warder. All warders are retired from the British Armed Forces and must be former senior non-commissioned officers with at least 22 years of service. They must also hold the Long service and Good conduct medals. NCOs from the Army, Royal Marines and Royal Air Force are eligible to apply, but members of the Royal Navy are not, because while members of the other services take oaths to the Crown, members of the Navy take an oath to the Admiralty.

Royal Marines

The Marines were first raised in 1664 as a regiment of land soldiers prepared for sea service. Raised as the Duke of York and Albany´s Maritime Regiment of Foot, they were known as the Admiral´s Regiment because the Duke was Lord High Admiral. In 1685 they became the Prince´s Regiment after Prince George of Denmark. In 1690 two regiments were created, followed by two more in 1698 and two more in 1702. These were disbanded in 1713 at the end of the War of Spanish Succession. Four companies of Invalids existed until 1739 when new regiments were raised during the War of Austrian Succession. These too were disbanded after the war.

In 1755 fifty new companies of marines were raised, grouped into three divisions, Chatham, Plymouth and Portsmouth, under the control of the Admiralty. The number of companies grew over the years and the marines were never disbanded again. In 1802 the corps was designated the Royal Marines by King George III on account of their distinguished service during the war with France. A fourth division was created at Woolwich from 1805 to 1869.

In 1804 marine companies of artillery were created which became a distinct division in 1859. This was called the Royal Marine Artillery and was based at Eastney. In 1855 the infantry companies were designated the Royal Marine Light Infantry. In 1923 both these branches were amalgamated as the Corps of Royal Marines. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds