Facebook/Myspace privacy issues

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cyberbro, Jan 31, 2008.

1. cyberbro

cyberbro Private E-2

Lots of rumors floating around about the safety of social network sites such as Facebook/Myspace....Are these sites safe for those in my household to visit or are they just a pathway for viruses and tracking cookies

Anyone have any thoughts on social network sites??

:major

2. Tarquin BA

Tarquin BA Private First Class

They aren't too bad unless you fall for the fake log in pages which end up with accounts being hijacked. One way it's done is for someone (on your friends list) to post a comment on your profile from another hijacked account, containing a phrase such as "I can't believe they allow her to post pictures like that !", followed by a link which takes you a realistic looking but totally fake log in screen. If you were already logged in and this happened, you would know something wasn't right.

3. JakeD

JakeD Corporal

thats very interesting.....
    my friends talk about that all the time, about there myspace pages getting hijacked and there profiles being changed.
    I try to keep my profile on a locked down basis....that way all of my info stays safe!! ;)

4. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I think you'd be fine as long as you were smart about it. Make sure to go through your privacy settings and set up your friends and comment systems appropriately. Myspace allows you to require 'CAPTCHA' for friend requests and comments. This will stop spam profiles from requesting you as a friend, and will keep your friends hacked profiles from leaving spam comments on your page. Also remember to always login from the main myspace homepage. Never login after clicking on a link in a comment or in someones profile. It is usually a trap to get your login information.

Also keep in mind that no matter how many precautions you take, you could still risk having your privacy or safety violated. So be careful what you make available on the site. Don't post personal information like last names, addresses, phone numbers, birth dates, or any other revealing information. Lastly, if you have young ones using the site, let them know that you'll be monitoring what they're doing. Some say its invading their privacy, but you're their parent and your number concern is their safety. Check in on things everyone once in a while, maybe even spend some time with them on their profiles and asking about friends, messages, comments, and get involved. Its a great way to keep them safe.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I understand the UK DATA REGULATOR is investigating the fact that Facebook at least keeps all the information you have uploaded after you delete it or even after you quit.
    In a BBC interview they declined to say what they are going to do with this information.

6. greensip

greensip Private E-2

Question - is there a way to tell who is viewing your profiles on myspace or facebook?

7. cyberbro

cyberbro Private E-2

Yeah this is true.....in order to be completely removed you have to delete everything from your profile (friends, apps, wall post, messages..etc) And then you contact the Facebook team and they will remove your profile off the servers

At least I did that and they told me I was completely removed

:major

8. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

No, there isn't. But you can configure your privacy settings so that you can limit who can see your profile. On Myspace you can limit it to your friends list and it will show up as private to everyone else. On facebook, your friends can see your profile, and you can even set up a limited profile and set individuals in your friend list to a privacy setting where they can only see that, not your whole profile.

More info on Facebook keeping your data.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds