Compaq Presario won't boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by BizR32, Jan 22, 2007.

1. BizR32

BizR32 Private E-2

Looking for some help with a Compaq Presario notebook running XP Home-sp2 that won't boot, not even in safe mode. It was my brother-in-law's computer, so, of course, I don't have any disks for it! Here's the scenerio:
    Turn it on, lights flash, fans sound like they are fanning, hard drive sounds like it's driving.
    "Apologize for the inconvienience . . ."
    Windows screen with little blue lights.
    Compaq screen.
    Message box 'Invalid parameter was passed to a service or function'. 'lsass.exe - system error' is on top left of box. Hit OK.
    Goes to black screen.
    Tapping F8 gets me to safe mode choices, opt for safe mode. A list of files appear, something about 'multidisk partion files/windows/system32 . . '
    Then the whole cycle starts over again, but without the apology.
    Guess my request boils down to 'can this computer be saved?' Is it fried, am I in over my head? Any suggestions, thoughts, prayers would be greatly appreciated!

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Many Compaq's that came pre-loaded w/ WinXP have built-in restore partitions but that option will probably wipe out the data. If you need the data you have a couple of options: try a safe reload of Windows 'over-the-top' of itself -or- download and create the UBCD4Win, boot it, and burn the data desired to a CD (you'll need 2 CD drives and you'll boot to the non-RW drive) -or- also using UBCD and an external USB drive (thumb drive is OK as long as it's in when you boot) you can run Unstoppable Copier and put the desired data on the external drive -or- take the PC to a shop and have them do it.... GOOD LUCK!!!

hopperdave2000

3. BizR32

BizR32 Private E-2

Thanks for the info! Downloaded the UBCD34-basic. AVG scan was clean, so tried some of the other programs. The HDD scan did'nt show any damage. I'm not really concerned with saving any data. I think brother-in-law had a little too much 'Vitamin C' & was practicing programming without a license! Can't even find a 'C:' drive - a B, Q, or T . . . The phrase 'Nuke & Pave' comes to mind. Guess I'll start doing some reading. OK, a lot of reading 'cas I can't get my XP disk to boot . . . Thanks again for taking the time to reply & share your expertise.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds