ITunes Can't See My Music

Discussion in 'Software' started by jessaka, Sep 6, 2010.

1. jessaka

jessaka Private E-2

I hope I explain this ok ..

When I opened ITunes tonight it asked me something about where the library was. This was a bit odd but I had to respond for itunes to open. I keep all my music on an external HDD and that's where the itunes media folder (edit/preferences/advanced) has always pointed - V:My Music. So when asked this question I entered that location. I realise now that the itunes library is something different, containing among other things a .itl and .xml file. It may have been (and still is) in the C drive.

Having done that, itunes opened but the music folder was empty. All the songs are still present in V:My Music and that's where the media folder is pointing. The only difference now is that V:My Music now contains the itunes1 folder which I'm guessing is a new version containing nothing. How do I change where itunes looks for the LIBRARY as opposed to the MEDIA FOLDER?

Hope v much that someone can help.

2. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Mine is located in the following directory. I'm on Win 7.

C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes

There are files called iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music library.xml

however, you should just point to that location that I have bolded and that should be fine. However, you might want to check your recycle bin to see if your original folder was deleted perhaps?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds