Please help before I pull my eyes out!!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by drmcgahey, Dec 17, 2004.

1. drmcgahey

drmcgahey Private E-2

Just completed a new build (my first one...questioning that decision now).

Athlon 64 3500+
    Asus A8V deluxe mobo
    2 x 512 ddr400 Corsair
    Thermaltake Purepower ATX 430 W
    Seagate Barracuda 80G Ultra 8MB cache
    BFG 6800GT Overclocked

Running XP with all current updates through SP2

Well, computer seems to run fine, but as soon as I run a program that's everly moderately graphics intense (just plain old BF 1942 right now), it crashes straight to desk top. Usually I'm just loading the game from intro screen and it crashes. Doesn't restart, no error message, no lag or locking, no program icon on the task bar, just straight to desktop.

Video card takes one slot and 1 power connection only.

I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what's going on with this thing. No one can seem to figure it out. Any ideas?? Could it be a hardware problem??

Thanks for your help.

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I will throw a few to get you and others started ;) ...
    make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed:
    START > RUN > type dxdiag > OK

Make sure you have the latest patchest installed for the games (upgrading just the OS files but not the game could cause problems).

Check your system specs/info, to ensure they all are equal or better than the games' minimum (if not suggested) requirements.
    you could use Everest Home Edition for this.
    Everest Home Edition Your components seem high quality and more than adequate for games like BF1941 so I don't necessarily think the above mentioned factor is applicable but wanted make sure, DirectX is important however.

Also, how many apps or games have you tried and experienced this problem with? Were the applications installed and run from authentic/original CDs?

...2 be continued...

3. drmcgahey

drmcgahey Private E-2

OK...all games are patched to newest updates. Have only tried a few games but with the same result for all. Direct X was updated to 9.0c BEFORE updating to SP2, so I will try re-updating now to see if that helps.

System specs are more than acceptable for suggested requirements on all apps I have tried to date.

All games are being run from authentic CDs and no no CD cracks are being used.

Thanks for the quick response...I really appreciate it!

4. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

If you are 100% certain that nothing on the SW side is the cause (DirectX, Video Card and mobo drivers, game updates, etc.) then it would have to be HW (RAM and PSU are the main offenders in this type of problem).
    Just because your components are more than adeqaute and brand name wouldn't mean they are working as they should.

Before swapping the HW components for troubleshooting, make sure you kill all processes/applications in the background and try running the game. No virus scanner, no spyware scanner no screensaver no webshots (grrr), nada, ok?

Also after killing all applications/programs and before launching the game, check the TaskManager for currently running processes....write down odd ones.

PS. this should have been posted in the Hardware section.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds