old TV as monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GrreatRon, Aug 22, 2014.

1. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I have an old TV (still working) that I would like to use as a monitor with my laptop. It does not have a Vega port or anything of that nature. It does have a S-video plug.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with a Vega port; using Win7 64. What kind of cable or connection do I need, and will there be any special settings I need to make?

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I really doubt you will be happy with the TV, you will not be able to read text. You may be able to play some simple games. Movies may be watchable. But even a monochrome monitor would be better for most PC tasks.
    If you still want to do this, Amazon has VGA to s-video adapters under $5.00 USD.
    Just search VGA to S-Video in Google.

3. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

Thanks. I'll follow up on it. I just want to watch a Jimmy Buffet concert that is now being broadcast on MargaritivilleTV.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds