music downloads

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dromano, Jan 25, 2007.

1. dromano

dromano Staff Sergeant

My 10 year old nephew came to live with us and got an MP3 player for the holidays. Can anyone tell me a good safe site for him get misic (easy to use,mabey free?) Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

My grand daughter uses :*** alot, it's free but I don't know how legal and there are chances of picking up malware

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  3. dromano

dromano Staff Sergeant

Thanks Musksnipe,
    I tried limewire it said it was free but then it always said could not find a license for the song. I don,t know what any of this means i have never done this before. I do want him to understand he has to do it legal so if anyone has any advise please help.
    Thanks

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

5. GRWDAD

GRWDAD Private First Class

I use Limewire. It has a free basic package download. Someone mentioned the "license" thing downstream. Not sure what it means, but I know in the setting you can choose not to look for a license. I have downloaded quite a few but they are not always what they say they are, antivirus has stopped a few as well. So the more you use it the better you will become at understanding what is what. Plus it is not just music, it does video, documents, pictures, programs,etc.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

7. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Yeah Lev... actually, according to the federal govt, it is illegal to share your copyrighted files with others. Obtaining files from those who share them on the other hand is not illegal.

If this has changed, I apologize, but last I checked (which was a couple years ago, I admit) and it is the uploading that is illegal, not the downloading. This is why anything I may or may not download is instantly moved to a separate folder where it can not be uploaded from.

Again, I make no claims to being the absolute end-all of legal knowledge and this may have changed since I researched it.

~C

EDIT-- PS: hey Lev, if u r still having troubles with son hogging bandwidth, you can set the router to knock out his net access between certain times :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Calltaker...I also figured I could unplig the modem/router for 2 mins until Limewire drops the connection and kicks out an error code, then plug it back in and I enjoy full speed bandwidth again ;) That way, I don't even have to access his room if he's asleep and left Limewire running :D

9. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Oh, you're evil Lev. That is the easy way of doing what I was talking about. My way would ahve been to go into the router and set his IP addy to only have access from 8am to 10pm or somesuch :)

~C

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds