Help with Video card slot, PCI vs AGP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neffgeek, May 22, 2010.

1. neffgeek

neffgeek Private E-2

On my motherboard, I have three PCI slots and one AGP slot. My video card (ATI Radeon 9000) is plugged into the AGP slot. I went into the BIOS to try to find out if my computer is AGP 1.0 or 2.0 (I am looking to upgrade my video card, which only has 64 MB), and according to the BIOS my video card is in a PCI. Everything works fine. Why is the BIOS set to PCI if the video is in AGP? (I have never changed this setting, I bought the computer new 6 years ago. I know, I know, but I don't have the money right now to get a new computer :cry .)
    If I get a used video card that is AGP and I plug it into the AGP slot, should I change the setting in the BIOS?

Thanks.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm talking about your BIOS settings. You should be able to just leave your BIOS settings as is, replace your old AGP card with a newer one, install the drivers for the new card, and you're off and running.

However, if you want, you might experiment a bit with BIOS settings related to video. Just be sure to make a note of the settings you have now so that can go back to that if you change a setting and it does not work right. Also, if you visit the website of your motherboard manufacturer, you may be able to find documentation, i.e. a user's manual, containing info on BIOS settings.

I believe the setting you see in your BIOS screens means you could have a PCI video card installed and, if so, your computer would recognize it. But, since you have no PCI video card installed, your computer basically ignores the PCI setting and defaults to AGP. If I'm not technically correct here, perhaps someone else can comment.

Actually, I think I'd leave the BIOS settings as is unless you find documentation, as mentioned above, that provides some useful info your BIOS settings, or someone else here has better advice.

3. neffgeek

neffgeek Private E-2

Graphics Connector (AGP) AGP4x
    TV-Out Device No
    TV-Out Configuration (N/A)
    Audio AC'97 Down
    AC'97 CODEC Device Realtek ALC202A
    Audio Jacks (Legend below) M, LI, LO, SO
    M Microphone
    LI Line In
    LO Line out
    SO Speaker
    M/G Midi/Game
    Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier Realtek RTL8101L
    Ethernet Configuration PCI, Down
    IDE UDMA Modes ATA-66/100
    Expansion Slots (AGP/PCI/Exten) AGP, 3 PCI

The above is information about my motherboard. The slot that my video card is in is the AGP slot. The dark colored one as opposed to the white ones (PCI)

[​IMG]

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Basically the setting you are taking about (I assume) is to tell the BIOS where to look for a video card first. In this case it will look in the PCI slots for a video card, then when it cannot find one it will look in the AGP slot.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Right on both counts If your video is working now, leave that setting alone.

No. You do not need to do anything with the BIOS. Just uninstall the old drivers, power down AND UNPLUG the computer from the wall, remove the old card, install then new card, and boot. If the card is working properly, you will be in standard VGA mode. Install the drivers for the new card to enable the new card's features and higher resolutions, reboot and you should be good to go.

But, while it does appear your current card is on the weak side for today's graphics oriented computing environment, ensuring you have enough system RAM generally gives the best bang for the money in terms of improved performance. So if you don't have at the very least, 1Gb of RAM, that's where your money should go first.

BUT, before you upgrade any hardware, especially graphics, make sure your power supply can handle the added demands.

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You have our comments mixed up. I commented on the BIOS settings and usafveteran commented "If it aint broke" etc

7. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Rats. I hate being bass-ackwards. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds