online malware database

Discussion in 'Software' started by jrtuenge, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jrtuenge

jrtuenge Private E-2

I recall seeing an online database linked from MajorGeeks a couple/few years back. You could enter a filename executable or even just the title and see if it was registered as malware. Anybody know what I'm talking about?...

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Process Library

It doesnt give you a difinative answer though as malware will oftern name itself using legitimate process names to try and hide itself.

You can also upload files to jotti to scan the actual file on your PC

3. jrtuenge

jrtuenge Private E-2

Thanks! I don't think those are the same site(s) I had seen earlier, but for all I know they're no longer in existence.

On a related note, do you know of a site which could be used to similarly screen freeware/shareware I'm considering, e.g., those products offered on tucows.com? Or do they do a pretty good job of screening for malware themselves?

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

6. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

All current AV solutions scan all traffic to and from your PC. So as long as you have an uptodate antivirus anything you download or veiw from the net is scanned prior to being accessed. A periodic scan with malware bytes anti malware will clean out the less harmful stuff that will simply slow your PC down. Google will hlp with anything else

7. jrtuenge

jrtuenge Private E-2

8. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

9. jrtuenge

jrtuenge Private E-2

Thanks again everybody - I'll take a look and let you know if I've got anything worth noting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds