Computer shuts down when playing games, youtube videos...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LilWiz, Apr 30, 2012.

1. LilWiz

LilWiz Private E-2

I had no idea where to post this so I just chucked it here :confused

Hi I'm new to the forum, and I'm an absolute dummy when it comes to computer troubleshooting so I've come here for some help!

My computer shuts down randomly when playing games, or watching youtube videos, or even just for seemingly no reason. By randomly I mean without warning and with no order to when shutting down (could be a minute after beginning playing the game or an hour).

The computer also has A LOT of difficulty rebooting, and quite often the monitor doesn't switch on after pressing the power button. Sometimes it will start up first try, other times it can take 30+ restarts before it boots completely. It often gets stuck at the first screen of the startup (has a bit of text and also says "Dual BIOS on the left). It also freezes at other points during startup sometimes and gets frozen on the login screen and on the decktop just after logging on.

I have a feeling this has something to do with the power supply but I'm not sure. Here are the computer specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Model: GA-MA790X-UD4P
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Thanks for reading all this!!!! :)

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Im inclined to agree with supposition of PSU (so you know more than you think! ;) ) That said it could also be RAM. I dont think it will be overheating but it is possible.

Have look at your CPU temperatures with CoreTemp and test your RAM with Memtest86. both are free and will roule out other problems before you purchase a new PSU. If they both come back clear then try replacing PSU but make sure you get it from somewhere with a no questions return policy in case new PSU doesnt fix the problem.

My next culprit is Motherboard.

3. LilWiz

LilWiz Private E-2

Thanks champ :cool I'll check it out.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Even if it is not the PSU, after ensuring the interior is clean of heat trapping dust, I would swap in a known good PSU for the remainder of the troubleshooting just to be sure. I doubt it is RAM (unless heat related or this has been a problem from the beginning), but it might be worth running with one stick at a time for testing.

When cleaning, inspect the motherboard for bulging or leaky capacitors. Though not the problem they were a few years ago, there may still be some lingering capacitor problems. The capacitors are in the shape of tall soda cans and there are typically several surrounding the CPU socket. They usually have an X, K or some other letter stamped in the tops. These are actually pressure relief points and the caps are supposed to release pressure by springing a leak, rather than blow up! Leaky caps will have what looks like dried foam, white to dark brown in color, oozing from the tops or bottoms. Bulging caps are getting ready to start leaking. Leaky caps are notorious for causing system freezes, sudden shutdowns, or reboots.

Newer boards use solid capacitors instead of electrolytics so newer boards typically don't suffer from these problem.

Motherboards can be recapped, but generally it is more cost effective to upgrade to a new motherboard - even though that typically means a new CPU, new RAM and a new Windows license too.

5. LilWiz

LilWiz Private E-2

Thanks mate! I'll probably be trying all the suggestions out sometime this weekend. :)

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Keep us posted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds