PC Wont Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mldy291, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Mldy291

Mldy291 Private E-2

I bought a new 80GB HDD today and installed it as a slave in my machine, then ran the Vista setup DVD, but had to cancel before it got into any menus, now my PC wont boot into XP it just says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK PRESS ENTER
    I dont have my XP CD as my sister has it for the moment and it will be next week before i can get it, any other way to repair this?:confused:

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Windows is not seeing the main drive. Most drives should work if you hook up another drive, but check your jumpers (if you did not check the main drive) to be sure the main drive jumper is on Master and the new drive Slave. Not setting the master drive as master, instead of default jumper position which can be in a one drive only jumper spot, could be the problem.

If I was there, it would be easy to figure out, but I am not, so I am assuming you have an operating system on your main drive and did not accidentally delete it.

3. Mldy291

Mldy291 Private E-2

Yes, jumpers are set to show drives Old is Master new is slave. Im quite sure it hasnt deleted the OS as i only get to the spalsh screen of the setup

4. Mldy291

Mldy291 Private E-2

Now i have removed the second HDD and the computer wont go past Verifying DMI Pool Data, any help?

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Clear the cmos, if not by jumpers, pull mother board battery out for a few minutes, unplug power supply before pulling battery. ed

6. Mldy291

Mldy291 Private E-2

Done that, still stuck at same point

7. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Enable "Reset Configuration Data" (may be "Force Update ESCD" in some CMOS Setuups) in the motherboard CMOS Setup PNP/PCI configuration. (Rebooting will automatically disabled it after it has done its thing.)

8. Mldy291

Mldy291 Private E-2

using an Award Bios V6.00PG and no option similar to that under any of the menus

9. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Do you have a floppy drive in your PC? Check that it is connected properly or conversely disconnect it entirely.

10. Mldy291

Mldy291 Private E-2

Nope, no Floppy drive at all, just so ya know, i managed to get the Vista installation to run, but when it reboots all i get is the verifying DMI Pool Data message

11. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Not sure if you've actually tried this but have you disconnected the hard drive to see if it comes up with a messsage saying it can't find the OS?

12. Mldy291

Mldy291 Private E-2

i disconnected the Old drive and installed Vista to the new one, all is running ok for now, maybe sometime i will hook up the old one and use it for storage, Thanks for all the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds