get either "file corrupted" or "i/o error message"

Discussion in 'Software' started by sable51, Jan 6, 2007.

1. sable51

sable51 Private E-2

Hi y'all,

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, so if I am in the wrong place, I apologize. I cannot access a photo file folder that is on an external hard drive. Depending on how I try to get to the file, I get either a "corrupt file" message or "i/o error message". I cannot delete the folder, cannot move the folder, and I can't do a defrag on that hard drive because of the folder. Chkdsk did not show any problems with the hard drive. I have just gone through the deep cleaning as listed on this forum, but nothing out of the way showed up on my external hard drive. I would appreciate any help with solving this problem. Stats: hp pavilion760N, win xp, service pack 2, seabolt external 160 gigharddrive with 45gig free. Thanks, Diane

2. MontyPalmer

MontyPalmer Private E-2

Does the error message arise when you access the file or the folder? If it is only the file, then I would recommend getting everything else off of the external temporarily and then getting a tool from the external drive vendor to reformat. You lose the file but regain the drive.

Cheers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds