Netgear wg111v2 issues (like always)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sire011886, Aug 1, 2007.

1. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

I've installed this dumb wireless internet card before on this computer, another laptop and I'm trying to install it on my new laptop.

The card finds the wireless network, then looses it, then finds it. It connects and reconnects over and over.

The wireless network works, using the Netgear router provided by Brighthouse. I got it to work with my other laptop and my brother's PSPs and my Wii. I just forgot what I did to get them to work. Oops...

I always have problems. I think it has to do with the packaged software. I installed it on my computer when I first installed it and it wasn't until I uninstalled the Netgear software that the adapter worked.

Thanks for your help.

- Anti

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

So what's the actual question?

This sounds like 'edge of signal distance' or interference by some other wireless apparatus, e.g. e DECT phone. Assuming the kit is working correctly.

The transmitter is directional, try experimentation and repositioning possible interference sources.
    Are any other networks also detected by the pc?

3. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

Positional interference would affect my Wii and PSPs, so it can't be that and I'm next to the router, so distance doesn't affect it.

4. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

Is there any possibility my wireless signal from the router would be pulsating?

I got the software to work with an older version, but I still get the pulsing signal.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The only software glitch I can think of would be the timeout being wrongly set (too short).

With Netgear that is one of the settable parameters, set it to 'never', or the longest it will let you.

Interference is funny thing and can affet on epiece of equipment but leave another untouched. I recently had a problem with a swank BT business router that turned out to be the laptop locking on to the telephone signal, also provided by the router, rather than the wireless LAN. This meant the laptop being allocated IP addresses out of the normal LAN range and disappearing from the LAN.

I did say experiment. Can you borrow a replacement to try or test the kit on another system? Can you borrow/hire a signal sniffer to look for interference sources?

Does this mean that you have older kit which also suffers the same problem?

6. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I've had the same problem with LinkSys cards (PMCI) on my laptop. I finally replaced it with a different make/model (AirLink 101), and it went away. Not all cards are created equal.

7. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I should add a lot of the problems were software, the LinkSys package included something called Boingo, which had a lofty goal but worked like crap.

The new card still logs off after extended durations, but nothing like the old one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds