add/remove programs won't load

Discussion in 'Software' started by danielbu, May 14, 2008.

1. danielbu

danielbu Private E-2

Ok, here's the deal. I downloaded a huge package via bittorrent, installed a program from it (before the whole thing had finished even), and began working. In the meantime, I cleared out some other stuff to make room on my hard drive (using add/remove, I believe). At some point, I realized that the computer was acting weird (I guess I tried to uninstall something), and I :banghead ran system restore to the day before. That was the first thing I did. Only after that just f@#$ed my system more (disenabling the program that I need for work, but not solving my problem), did I run the antivirus (AVG 8.0free), and that showed infections from the following viruses:
    PSW.Generic5.AFKD
    PSW.Generic5.AFKF
    PSW.Generic5.AFKG
    Win32.Generic.FG
    Generic10.OCV

The AV cleared them out. I then ran AAW2007free, which didn't find much else, and tonight I ran the whole business you recommend, as you can see from the attached logs.

I'd gladly wipe my system and start again, but it never came with a system disk (laptop bought in small middle eastern country surrounded by software pirates), and I just installed SP3 and (stupidly) didn't make a slipstreamed disk to reinstall...

As you can see from the attached logs, there seems to be no problem here, but the add/remove doesn't open - not from the control panel, not from the start menu "Set Program access and defaults" button. Everything else seems to work fine.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Please attach ALL of the requested logs in the instructions. Here is what the cleaning procedure said:

3. chaslang

4. danielbu

danielbu Private E-2

Did I miss one? I get a total of 4. That's all she wrote. It's awfully late...:zzz

Attached Files:

5. chaslang

Did you miss message # 3? Your problem is more than likely not due to malware.

6. danielbu

danielbu Private E-2

I did. I tried the fix recommended there - no luck. Which is to say nothing blew up, but the result was nil. I tried restoring a registry from 5/5/08, but didn't notice that the registry editor (eusing free registry cleaner) erased the backup after restoring it. Restart, and nothing. I must sleep now. Will try more in morning.

7. chaslang

Make sure the below file is on your PC

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\appwiz.cpl

If not, you need to replace it. I suggest you continue this in the Software Forum where I will move this thread to right now.

8. danielbu

danielbu Private E-2

appwiz.cpl is there. Everything looks like it should be fine. regedit and sysedit run, but curiously, there is no config.sys nor is there an autoexec.bat. I don't remember if there used to be content in those files - I'll check older versions left behind.

I'm guessing that either the viruses/trojans or their removal erased some material. Or else Adobe discovered my pirated install and caused me harm in disabling it. Or perhaps God, instant karma, or something like that... That $1500 of "savings" by dl-ing pirated software is looking like it might have been worth spending....

9. chaslang

Not required in XP.

I don't think your problem is malware related. It more likely due to what you did (the scription in your first message it what I'm referring to).

We cannot help you with this as pirated software is not something we condone.

10. danielbu

danielbu Private E-2

After this experience, I swear, I will never again...

What worked? I reran WinXP SP3, and after the restart, the business works fine.

Now I just have to find another solution for that work related thing...

Never again! I hereby forswear piracy!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds