unable to install windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by jaishankar, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

I have pentium 4 computer with 1 GB of RAM and 40 GB HDD, with windows XP SP2 installed in my Partition C, i wanted to install windows 7 in my Partition d which is of 10 GB and the last partition if of 50 GB which is full of data like my collection of songs, movies, video songs, games etc., don't want to touch it so want to install windows 7 in my partitin D of 10 GB, the problem is the DVD boots well files get copied and the windows 7 logo appears and nothing happens later, it stalls at that position forever, never movies forward. I tried with another fresh windows 7 DVD:-D but damn this too stuck there:-o, later i tried with windows vista DVD but this to stuck at the windows logo after files get copied. Plz somebody tell me why is this happening, is there any hardware issue.:-o

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1GB RAM is not sufficient to run Vista nor Windows 7, despite what MS tells you. Vista might limp along with 1GB but I'm not sure windows 7 would even do that.
    Vista needs 2GB and Windows 7 should have 4GB of RAM. (It will work with 3GB but be slower).
    With only a 40GB hard drive, you should stick with XP and update it to SP3.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements
    even MS states that Windows 7 requires 16GB of hard drive space. It stalled because there wasn't enough room for the OS.

3. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

As stated, your RAM and HD capacity are not enough.

If you have room in your case, I would upgrade to 4 GB RAM and time to get a new HD. You can get a 750 GB HD for under 50.00 bucks typically. I have a pentium 4 computer from Dell and this is what I did and things work perfectly for over a year now.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's possible to install W7 on a very small drive or partition, my netbook's running a stripped down version of W7, currently using 4.16GB of a 7.5GB drive. It boots in a little over a minute using about 470MB of the 1.5GB RAM (the max. it will accept). Performance is reasonable considering the 'SSD' is probably the slowest ever, as fast as an average 8GB SD card!

5. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

well my last computer which was only celeron 2 GHz with 1GB DDR1 RAM and 80 GB HDD ran windows 7 perfectly, but this pentium 4 computer wont even install windows

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks satrow! That is a very interesting link as I would have thought it was impossible to install/run Win7 on a 10gb partition.

7. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

why can't install on pentium 4 when it could be installed easily on celeron 2 GHz system with 1 GB RAM

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

My laptop, which has 1.5GB RAM, runs Windows 7 just fine. Windows 7 actually has better RAM management and uses less RAM than Windows Vista.

Vista was a waste of time, for me anyway, all around.

9. plodr

I repeat MS states that Windows 7 requires 16GB of hard drive space.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

Awesome link, may play with it, when we go to win 7 vdi solution with vmware view.

11. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Despite what has been stated by some members here and by Microsoft, 1 gig of ram is fine for Windows 7. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my test computer and it only has 1 gig of ram installed on it. When running it only uses 350 mbs of ram. I could cut it down to 500 mbs ram and it would still work.

As for the hard drive space that may be an issue.

What also might be an issue is trying to keep Windows XP on a separate partition while trying to boot from Windows 7. If the Windows XP partition is still active it might cause problems when trying to boot from the Windows 7 partition.

Why not just format the C drive and install Windows 7 on that partition? If you have Windows 7 why keep Windows XP?

12. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

what i want to say is it should atleast start the installation and check the drive and later say disk is not sufficient, but not there is no installation at all, how cum i do a clean install when the installation does not even start:-o

13. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I had a similar problem with a PC i was working on and after trying all i could think of i installed Ubuntu on the partition which went perfectly and then installed Windows 7 to the partition i had installed Ubuntu and it then went smoothly.

I have no explanation as to why this worked but it did :confused

14. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

but linux has ext 3 file system and windows FAT or NTFS how could u install on such different file systems :-o

15. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

As i said in the post "i have no explanation as to why it worked but it did" i realize that they are different formats and it could be to do with the MBR but i am not clever enough to explain it.:confused

16. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

i have upgraded my PC with 3 GB RAM still now i'am unable to install windows 7

17. plodr

Requirements: 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit) as I posted in #2 and #9. You don't have enough hard drive space.

18. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

i formatted my entire HDD and gave whole 80 GB to C drive and tried to install but still couldn't install with even 3 GB of RAM:-o

19. satrow

Was there no useful error message, no error code given?

20. plodr

Did you go here http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor
    and try this? More than RAM and hd space, windows 7 requires certain video requirements.
    DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

You haven't mentioned anything about the graphics card in your pentium 4 computer.

21. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

no error message, just stopping at the windows logo after file copying progress

22. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

i don't have any graphic card infact have onboard 945 chipset

23. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

my mobo is cheap Gravity Mother Board with American Megatrends BIOS :confused

24. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

hoope somebody will help me soon:confused

25. satrow

With no error messages, we really don't have much to go on.

Do you see the time scale during the install? How far does it get?

Have you checked that the install CD is good? A quick and dirty way is simply to copy all the files/folders from it to a new folder on your hard drive using Windows Explorer - any file copy errors and you might have hit the problem.

26. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

this is the windows upgrade advisor report

[​IMG]

27. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

as i already said it stops as soon as the windows 7 logo appears, it stays there for unlimited time, once i left it for the whole night but didn't go forward:yum

28. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

waiting for the help soon

29. plodr

The above says you need to address 4 issues.
    1. I'm assuming that by formatting the hard drive, you removed Partition Magic 8, though I can't be sure. I had lots of problems with PM (do not remember the version).
    2.I also suspect TeamViewer is gone.
    3.You've increased the hard drive space so the 3.1GB has now been increased to at least 16.
    4. You need to take care of the video. Apparently that onboard card might be the problem.

30. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

so what do you think should i get one new display card:-o

31. plodr

If it were me, I wouldn't spend the money on an old system.

I save the $$ and buy a new computer with Windows 7 already installed and everything working properly.

32. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Please stop answering questions. You have 8 vague answers with brilliance like "Google it". your a tad out of your league here.

33. plodr

jaishankar, your computer does not have a video card. It has an onboard video chip which is not compatible with windows 7 according to your screenshot in post # 26.

You need to move over to the hardware section http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22 post the specs of the computer so someone who knows about the different types of video slots can suggest the proper card to fit into your computer.

34. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

what video card should i use plz tell me:-o

35. plodr

gloozit, read post #18. She has wiped the drive and has 80GB for the install.
    Since she has enough hd space and has added RAM and I assume that PartitionMagic and TeamViewer are both gone, the only thing I could figure out not enabling the install was the graphics.
    If it isn't that, because you say it will work, I have no idea what is preventing the install.

I'll hand it over to you to figure out what needs to be done.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds