"You need permission to perform this action."

Discussion in 'Software' started by xhayatox, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xhayatox

xhayatox Private First Class

God, the day I bought Vista. I f*cking regret it. I AM AN ADMINISTRATOR on my OWN computer, and I have disabled (UAC), and when I attempt to delete folders on my computer, I get this god damn error message all the time. It simply REFUSES to allow me to delete my own files. Like I just recently installed a Toolbar, and I just tried to remove it and this error continues to pop up. I don't know what to do at this point. I have never been this frustrated with anything in my life. I can't delete my OWN files. What kind of BS is this? Please, somebody tell me this is some joke. How do I get this stupid OS to cooperate with me? I need these stupid messages to stop coming up. I don't need these stupid restrictions on my own computer, especially when it comes to deleting files I don't need.

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Open an Administrator Command Prompt.

1. Start | type Cmd.exe | right-click on cmd.exe and selected Run as
    Adminstrator
    2. Navigate to directory using cd command
    3. use rename command to rename folder (synatx is 'rename
    <directoryname> <newdirectoryname>')
    4. type exit to close cmd.exe
    5. navigate to now-renamed folder and delete it.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Hi there xhayatox...

The following site webpage list's a step-by-step (with pics and all) method of possibly alleviating your frustration with the problem of these tediously annoying "You need permission to perform this action" warnings.

How to Take Ownership and Full Control Permissions of Files & Folders in Windows​

If this turns out to be too many steps for you; try the additional suggestion on that site (scroll down the sites webpage - to just after "Step 15") which reads as follows: "Users can now do whatever you like to the files or directories processed as above. If you feel that above process is a little too long, and prefer to use command line to perform above process, then open an elevated command prompt as administrator, and issues the following commands..."

I hope these steps listed there help you out :)

Good Luck! -- COMP

Side Note Incidentally, I totally agree with you re: Microsoft Vista being a far less than adequate OS. As was the case with Windows Millennium I believe the Vista OS was initially a 'rush job' when it first was originally presented. The operating system released in several variations developed by Microsoft. Prior to its announcement around June of 2005, Windows Vista was known by its codename "Longhorn." The final Vista product was put out January 2007 it was released worldwide and was made available for purchase at that time. They received so many complaints about Vista that Microsoft decided to put out the Windows 7 earlier - and it was finally released to manufacturing in June 2009, and reached general retail availability worldwide on October 22, 2009 less than three years after the release of its predecessor, Windows Vista – not nearly enough time between these two operating systems IMO. I actually upgraded one of my computers to Windows 7 from Vista and found Win 7 to be a far more stable as well as reliable OS (in comparison to MS Vista).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  4. xhayatox

xhayatox Private First Class

It's not working guys. I just tried for the last hour and it's still not working. I have full control over the entire computer, but the error still persists. Nothing seems to be working. I don't know what to do anymore. I have changed the ownership 100+ times and I'm getting really annoyed. I have full control over everything! What do I do?

[​IMG]

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not right at all on a few levels, Vista is fine as an OS, its issue was lack of knowledge from users of the beta that killed it before it was released to the regulators of anti-trust wanting changes made to the OS, to a few core applications that where pulled (WinFS for one), to 3rd party developers of drivers and software holding back for a RTM version before releasing updates to their apps that would work with the new kernel and security measures.

Windows 7 was not rushed at all, it was due to Microsoft going back to its original time-line of releases, which nearly always was 2-3yrs between products, Win XP had a too big of a cap between releases, mainly and possibly a it was a good product, but was getting old. On that president then Win8 is being rushed to fix failings in Win7 and so on. In most cases development is run in parallel so part way through the beta of Win7, suggestions in the techbeta where being used for possible Win8 inclusion and even before Win8 beta is released, Windows .next will be on the table.

Vista did do one big thing in that Microsoft running a huge public beta, and the negativity due to that, it has caused Microsoft to be very closed to releasing early betas to techbeta and public testers, the beta for Win8 will likely be a late version that virtually NO changes unless shop stoppers will be changed or any suggestions will make it into the product.

but this thread is not the one to discuss that.

Thead closed and follow http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=252655

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds