General game installation problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jon Pinson, May 3, 2004.

1. Jon Pinson

Jon Pinson Private E-2

Hi, first post here, I was told that you could perhaps help me.

The problem occurs whenever I try to install a game. The installation window opens, and the game begins to install, but at some point (varies between games), the installation stops, and a message pops up: 'An I/O error has occured while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file'. In the past I have installed, uninstalled and then reinstalled the same games without any such problem. For the record I am using a 2.5GHz P4 512DDR ram and XP.

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated,

Jon

2. Fuzz

Fuzz Private First Class

Im thinking your CDrom drive is on the blink..I used to get random errors too when my other systems CDrom was going out..Not sure but is it a creative CDrom by chance?

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Just gave my cdrom drive to my cuz' and when i went to install 2 seperate games they gave me the same problem ... I also think that its gonna be a dead one soon

4. Jon Pinson

Jon Pinson Private E-2

That makes some sense, as the CD drive has never been the most reliable, but I get the same problem when i try to install...umm...downloaded games.

5. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

assuming you mean demo versions of games;

reinstall windows, see if that helps.

6. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Reinstall wxp? i hear alot of people solve their problems by reformating and reinstalling wxp as a first method of solving problems; even with tech support through MS that i was on and tech support for Toshiba their first recomendation was Reformating and Reinstalling. sheeesh lazy people :) .

7. Jon Pinson

Jon Pinson Private E-2

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, I will reinstall XP.

Thanks,
    Jon

8. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

EEK :eek: i think you misunderstood me if you went with my post

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

RE: MS
    Must have been talking to some of our fine techs in India. :rolleyes:

That will get you fired if you make that your troubleshooting of choice.

Can't blame them too much, AOL gets more training than the folks in India do.

10. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

You must be a mind reader; yeah it was an indian rep that sounded like a female arnold schwartz...very creepy and hard to understand em' [not to mention like a 2sec lag for some reason] once i got to a US tech support it was a smooth ride...and fixed the problem

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The 2 second lag is from the crappy Voice Over IP system they use.

12. Jon Pinson

Jon Pinson Private E-2

Ok, there seems to be some risk in attempting that by myself, so I decided that, because it is still under warranty, I will send it back to be fixed, it has one or two other niggling little problems so maybe this is a good time to get them all sorted.

Once again thanks,

Jon

13. dhrel99

dhrel99 Private E-2

The problem occurs whenever I try to install a game. The installation window opens, and the game begins to install, but at some point (varies between games), the installation stops, and a message pops up: 'An I/O error has occured while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file'. In the past I have installed, uninstalled and then reinstalled the same games without any such problem. For the record I am using a 2.8GHz P4 256DDR ram and XP.

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated

14. dhrel99

dhrel99 Private E-2

Installation Problem

The problem occurs whenever I try to install a game. The installation window opens, and the game begins to install, but at some point (varies between games), the installation stops, and a message pops up: 'An I/O error has occured while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file'. In the past I have installed, uninstalled and then reinstalled the same games without any such problem. For the record I am using a 2.8GHz P4 256DDR ram and XP.

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated,
    dhrel99

15. Jon Pinson

Jon Pinson Private E-2

A few silly questions:

Why did you post your question in my topic?
    Why did you copy my exact post, only changing the spec of the machine?
    Why did you ask the question when it has already been answered in this thread?

16. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

I think he was trying to reply to your question but is not quite getting the posting thing figured out right. Considering he only has a few posts himself.

On second thought, that is kind of odd so maybe I'm wrong.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds