Methods To "Safely Clean Your PC" Thread (Everyone's Welcome To Read & Post!!!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Apr 5, 2006.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Okay now for a lot of us who are'nt pc wizards we have unanswered question's on how to safely clean your own pc without damaging it. Especially if you have a pc made of different types of material. Or cleaning problems that are either too grave to handle, or to delicate to touch. So if you would please sit back and join in this conversation, and post "SAFE" cleaning method's that can be used to clean a pc, hard drives, fans, mobos, cd/dvd drives, cd/dvd writers, power supplys, and any hardware in a pc. Most of us have normal computers, some have very delicate gaming machines, or powerhouses just for the rush. We all need to learn how to safely clean our pcs, and keep them in tip top shape as if we were waxing a million dollar automobile. Pc's are delicate, and they require constant attention. So list your pc cleaning secrets, tips, do's and don'ts, or any ideas you may have. With all of this information we can all have the cleanest running pcs in the world, and destroy the cyber ozone layer around every pc on the planet!!!

Let me start by asking:

"Is it safe to use the standard compressed air duster spray bottles they sell at every pc store to clean an acrylic see through case? I don't want to ruin my see through case, and must know as I paid $160 for it. Can it damage my case, leave stains, or freeze it and make it crack up since it's not a metal/aluminum case?"

2. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

By the way this is the case I am talking about:

[​IMG]

3. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

compressed air shouldn't hurt anything, just don't shake it or turn it upside down as that can cause it to blast out ice cold liquid.

4. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Cool case never saw one of those before....

The thing i use for cleaning my case it's the vacuum cleaner work great.....

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As Splitt3r mentioned, dont turn the air can upside down so to prevent liquid escaping from the nozzle, also try to keep a steady jet going.

.you could also use a very soft brush to dislodge any trapped dust.

.antistatic cleaning fluid to clean the case sides, but with extremely soft cloth, the types used for glasses/specticles as they dont scratch.

.if possible move you PC to higher ground, on/close to the carpet your liable for more dust and static, if cannot be moved, then invest in an antistatic mat to sit the PC on, it will minimize static build up from the carpet.

.get some cotton or anti-static gloves for when your cleaning or working on the inside of the case as it will reduce grubby fingermarks on the case sides.

6. ej25lvr

ej25lvr Private First Class

i have a compressor i use to blow out my case evey now and then. i regulate the psi down to like 5 psi so it wont be blowing to hard on certain parts.

7. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

That IS a sweet case!! I do have one question though, Halo you said to keep a steady jet going, but I have heard the opposite. I heard that it is better to do short bursts, say a second at a time, to help prevent condensation and of course keep the can upright and not too close. I suppose people have different ways but now I'm curious?
    Um. I also have been told to stay away from Vacuums because they can scrape and bump etc.
    Can anyone clarify?

8. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

vaccums create a lot of static, it is Ok to use them outside the case but not inside, also don't let the smaller fans spin when you blow them with aiur, they can spin faster than they're meant to and it can damage them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds