Any body here a car Guy or girl ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Goldenskull, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I have a Battery Cable i know that one then i have the ground its a real thin one then i have two others that connect to it.

My car is a 2000 sunfire 2.2 L

Now i have the wires connected and it started but it sounds like the starter is running all the time.Its like a really loud grinding noise.

So Should the two other cables should be connected to the Pos cable.

This is the Starter i have look at the second picture.on the site.
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...r-Worldwide_15220015-P_123_R|GRPSTRTAMS_____#

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Ordinarily RED will be the positive lead, and BLACK will be the negative.

The solenoid (high current relay) on the starter is a "normally open" contact. When you apply voltage, the contacts close, the bendix (gear) is applied to the flywheel (standard), or flex plate (automatic).

If voltage is being constantnly applied to the solenoid, the bendix will continue to engage the gear ring on the flex plate/flywheel. It will also grind the bendix, or break teeth off the gear ring.

Do you have a test light?

The ring connectors are specific sizes, one connection for each large post, and smaller ones for the little posts.

3. Goldenskull

I do but i really do not know how to use it.

4. Goldenskull

Well my question here is the Pos cable

There are three connections on my Starter Two Bigger connections and one small.

I know the small is for the Ground wire and bye the way when i turn the lights on my Day time running lights looks a little dim so some thing is not getting power.I know that much.

I am done for the night been trying half the time trying to get this one bolt off.

But any way The Top Connection that is for the Battery right.

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

You need to remove the small wire from the solenoid with the ignition off, and use some electrical (vinyl tape) to attach it to the probe end of the light. Make sure you have a good ground, otherwise you will get a false negative result. DO NOT short the connector to ground.

Turn on the ignition, and "start" the car. The light should come on, then turn off from "start" to "run". If the light remains on in the "run" position, you have an ignition issue. If not, you may need "shims" to gain clearance between the bendix, and the gear ring of the flywheel/flex plate.

This is ALOT easier with two people, or in a pitch black place.

EDIT: Yes, the top connector is for the battery lead. The "negative" is the starter's contact with the engine block. There is no "ground wire", the small wire is the ignition lead (+12V). That small wire energizes the coil in the solenoid, and closes the contacts to engage the starter when you turn the key all the way forward.

6. Goldenskull

I am all so thinking i need to shim the Starter too the guy that rebuilt the engine said it sounds like it needs a shim.

7. Goldenskull

Car is running fine now like new i had a wire pos wire on my ground wire going to the starter sounds normal now.Be for it sounded like gears grinding.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds