CPU hot in bios setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nathan6, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Nathan6

Nathan6 Private E-2

Hi all, new to computer building and wondering if you could lend me a hand. I put together a computer last night, AMD 64 3700+, on a jetway board(think cheap), with a GB of ram. I also used an old radeon 9000 graphics card and a older 5.1 sound card. It is in an antec case with a 450w power supply. The thing started up (farther along than I thought I would get) and enters bios. Right of the bat it starts at 45C then works its way up to 55C and hangs around there. This afternoon I retried the application of thermo paste and heatsink, runs about the same if not slightly hotter. All three fans are running, the cpu one runs at about 3000 rpm. What seems to be wrong here, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

45-55 isn't that hot ...is this in an open case?

3. Nathan6

Nathan6 Private E-2

Thank you for the reply. Yes it is an open case at the moment. Last I tried it it got up to 58C before I shut it down. I searched the forum before I posted and people were reporting CPU temps in the 30s and 40s.

4. Nathan6

Nathan6 Private E-2

I touched the heat sink and it certainly doesn't feel like 55C. Should it?

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Those temps are Hot, idle 45-55C when only in BIOS, Hate to think what your Load temp will be
    You should be able to idle low 30's and max Load in low 50's

Keep in mind many MOBO sensors can be off by 10 degrees + or -

What kind of thermal paste?
    Did you clean both the CPU & HS before reapplying?
    Your CPU is running at stock speed & voltage?

Maybe you dont have good case air flow?

One other thought, A Long shot, check mobo manufactures web for BIOS update that corrects inacurate temp monitoring.

6. Nathan6

Nathan6 Private E-2

I tried it with the paste that came on the heatsink, and got a max of 55. I redid it and used what they had at radio shack and got a max of 57. I cleaned both the cpu and heat sink with rubbing alcohol (91%) using qtips. I applied the thermo paste with rubber gloves, I applied more than a grain of rice amount (recomendations I have read) of the radio shack stuff. CPU and mother board were just put together last night, no changes. I haven't installed windows yet so I can't get it online.

7. Nathan6

Nathan6 Private E-2

Is too much thermo paste a bad thing?

8. TimW

9. Nathan6

Nathan6 Private E-2

no slobber.

10. TimW

I strongly second ASUS's suggestion ...you mentioned a cheap board ...so it is very likely that the reported temps are inaccurate.

11. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I'd recommed using Artic Silver Ceramique, it's safer than most other Thermal Paste because it's non Conductive, it will provide temps within a couple degrees of most any Thermal Paste on the market
    Also very short burn in time

Many will recommed Artic Silver 5, but it's conductive too much can fry CPU, GPU or Chipset instantly
    Another thing AS5 Takes a while to burn in for Optimal temps

Some info on both, Instructions on both
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/

I'd aslo suggest some aftermarket cooling
    ThermalRight make some Excellant products
    Here's Two Excellant choice's for Excellant prices (Best Bang for your Buck)
    http://jab-tech.com/Thermalright-XP-90-OEM-pr-2921.html
    http://jab-tech.com/ThermalRight-SI-97A-pr-2999.html

PC airflow and heat - a cooling guide
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=230

12. Nathan6

Nathan6 Private E-2

I unfortunantly live in an apartment complex where they won't accept packages, and I live in somewhat remotepart of Texas, parts aren't easy to come by. I'll to load up windows (you think that will be alright?) and update the bios and see if it is a off temp sensor(the air off the fan doesn't feel hot). If that fails I'll check into the new thermal paste and heat sink (payday isn't until friday anyway). Thank you guys (or girls) for your help.

13. TimW

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds