How do I compress an 18G .AVI file?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dawn_speechpath, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn_speechpath

Dawn_speechpath Private E-2

Can someone please assist me in the process of compressing an 18G .AVI video+audio file into something much smaller? I'd like to be able to upload this file onto Google Videos. If you are familiar with VirtualDub Mod/XviD or the program Bink and Smacker, I'd prefer to use either of those since I've already downloaded them. I'd be so appreciative if you could walk me through the steps of how to configure the compression appropriately so I don't mess up the video or audio of my movie. Thank you.

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

18G is very large for an avi file.
    Windows Movie Maker will allow you to compress an avi by restricting the bitrate. I have used it successfully many times compressing videos that I upload to my church's website. Most of the 0riginal files are 2G to 6G; the resulting files: 30Mb to 90Mb.
    Here is an example of my results:
    http://www.ioniafirst.com/eastercantata.avi
    (this was taken with a cheap video camera approx 60 feet from the chior)
    WMM is part of XP, so it requires no special download if you have XP or Vista.
    You can find it by clicking on:
    Start>Programs>Accessories.

3. Dawn_speechpath

I couldn't find how to compress the .avi by looking inside the WMM program or by going to start, programs, accessories. I have Vista. What is the first step in doing this?

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

After you have loaded your movie file in WMM click "Save to My Computer"
    You will be presented with a screen similar to this one:
    [​IMG]

(I have XP on this machine not Vista, so this might not be exactly the screen you see)
    Choose "Best Fit to File Size" and use your down option (arrow #1 in picture) to reduce your size.
    Keep in mind that reducing it too small will cause the display size (arrow #2) to become too small to see clearly
    (Anything below 320x240 is too small for my poor eyesight)

5. Dawn_speechpath

Joel,

Thank you very much for your help. Just to let you know, the function you described to me is under the "publish" movie option in Vista WMM. I am hopeful that Google Uploader will now take my file. Very exciting!!
    Dawn

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

The best of luck to you.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds