Scan and save as PDF

Discussion in 'Software' started by kabs303, May 1, 2009.

1. kabs303

kabs303 Private E-2

I need to scan multiple pages and save as single pdf files.

I was using Presto Page Manager 6 of New Soft which came bundled with Lexmark X4550 All-in-One. The PM6 does not work very reliably. I use a laptop (Acer Travelmate 4000 series with 120GB Hdd). I have uninstalled the PM6 now.

With the PM6 installed I found I could use MS Office Document scanning as an alternative/option. The only issue with MDI is that one has to save files as TIF or GIF and the file sizes are rather large. These GIF or TIF files I would convert to PDF using PrimoPDF, an excellent tool.

However after uninstalling the PM6, the MDI says Scanner cannot be initialised. I think the MDI works only when there is some scanning SW existing in the machine.

I like to know if there is a good SW (preferably freeware) using which, I can scan on X4550 and save the file as PDF in the laptop. Prefer freeware because I don't want to buy one and find out later that it has limitations and then am forced to live with it.

I have to confess that I have tried a couple of forums for a solution. So far no luck.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I use two free programs as conversions.
    a) primo pdf adds a "printer" driver. I pretend I'm going to print the document, or in your case, the jpg and select primopdf as the printer. It places the pdf on my desktop.
    http://www.primopdf.com/
    The one drawback is that it requires .NET 2
    I've never used it on jpgs, so read through to see if it works on those.
    I just checked the online conversion tool
    https://online.primopdf.com/Default.aspx and jpg is listed so I assume the installed version would also work.
    b) dopdf http://www.dopdf.com/ this doesn't require .NET but I don't think it does images.

I have used both but with MSOffice and WordPerfect files never images.

3. kabs303

kabs303 Private E-2

Thanks Plodr.

I have never had much problem with Primopdf. I will check out the Dopdf also.

Could you tell me how to initialise the scanner Lexmark X4550 for use with MS Office Document scanning. This will solve my problem of scanning.

If you can recommend a scan and save as pdf sw (freeware) please help. Thanks

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Give this free app a whirl Scan2PDF shoudl work with any scanner that runs off a twain driver as yours should do.

5. kabs303

kabs303 Private E-2

Thanks Halo. I will check this out and update. I need to clean the registry to remove all remnants of Page Manager6. Then I will check this one.

6. kabs303

kabs303 Private E-2

Hi,
    I dowloaded Scan2pdf ver 1.7.. It is inadequate. It is too simple with limited choices (unless I am doing something wrong). It does not seem to be able to do color scan. I selected English - but when I click scan there is a message "nil kann nicht zu TJPEGImage zugeweisen werden". I have no idea what this means.

After downloading Scan2pdf one change is - The MS Office document scanning now works with the limitation that even color docs can be scanned as B&W only.

I think I will continue my search for another color scanning sw.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds