Toshiba M45-S165 No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hornnumb2, May 2, 2011.

1. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

This laptop is driving me crazy, no sound with error message. I have download the driver from toshiba but no change. Running xp sp3. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Michael

Attached Files:

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Hornnumb2.

I'm assuming you tried this Realtek driver from Toshiba? If so (and it was unsuccessful), try this:

1. Uninstall your current Realtek drivers.

2. Download and install Driver Sweeper, but don't run it yet.

3. Boot into Safe Mode.

4. Run Driver Sweeper (select the Realtek audio, click Analyze, click Clean [run Clean twice to clear up any residual leftovers]).

5. Reboot into Normal Mode and reinstall the Realtek/Toshiba package.

6. Reboot again, and see if your symptoms have changed.

Let us know the results - there are other steps we can take if necessary.

3. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

Ok went into device manager and uninstalled all the sound files, rebooted to safe mode and ran drive sweeper. Restart and ran the toshiba driver but still get the same fail. Thanks Michael

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. Caliban

I'm not seeing three XP SP3 Realtek drivers for the M45-S165, only this one.

You might try a chipset reinstall with this driver - make sure you reboot afterwards.

There is a Microsoft Fix it for no sound - try that.

If those don't help, try the following:

You will need to do this as this fools XP SP3 into thinking it is SP2 and allow the re-install of the UAA HD Audio Patch as this patch is required before any of the HD device drivers are installed

1. Click Start > Run, type regedit, then click OK.
    2. Expand (click the plus signs in front of) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, System, Current Control Set, Control, Windows.
    3. In the right panel, right-click CSDVersion and choose Modify.
    4. In the highlighted input window, you should see 300. Change it to 200.
    5. Click OK, close the Registry Editor and restart your PC.

XP will now think it's at Service Pack 2. Reinstall the MS UAA patch, and then reinstall the audio drivers.

Make sure to reboot and then test your sound before changing the value back to 300.

Then follow the same steps to change it back to SP3 (change the CSDVersion from 200 back to 300).

*** Links for the UAA Patch: here or here.

6. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

Any other ideas? Thanks

7. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

8. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

9. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

You nailed it on the head, loaded it first and all is good....Thanks Michael

10. Caliban

Guess I blew that one - been in this business for 40 years, and yet I learn something new every day. :-o

Glad you got it sorted, Michael, and thanks for the feedback. :major

11. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

I appreciate all the help, the only thing I did different this time also which could have made a difference. I was uninstalling them in Device manager and this time I went to add remove programs and did it from there....Thanks to ALL for the help. Michael

12. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

I think it may of been more to the fact that he went through the 'proper' uninstall procedures first Caliban ;)

iain.t :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds