Zone Alarm slowing internet connection?

Discussion in 'Software' started by comperroruter, Nov 25, 2005.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I am curious as to whether or not the new ZoneAlarm Security Suite I installed could be the reason that my internet connection seems to be slower than ever? It has always been slow but this is REALLY slow. I appreciate any information.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Provide us with more info, please. Are you using ZA free or Pro, what version. How do you connect to the Internet? Dialup, broadband, or what? Who provides your Internet connection? What are your computer specs. XP, W98SE? RAM? HD free space, etc. What Antivirus are you using? What version? It could be just a coincidence that it occurs when installing a new ZA. If it was a common occurrence, MG would be full of complaints against ZA. I've just installed the latest version of ZA free, with no slow down effects. I am on dialup, as well. Bazza

===

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

There was an issue with one version of ZA, but I think it caused it to use resources, not slow internet connection.

Try surfing a safe site, like here, with ZA off and see if that makes a difference.

You can also try disabling email protection and see if it improves.

However, I would do some tests with it on and off to determine the problem before I did anything.

4. comperroruter

ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.1
    Dial-up
    ISP.com
    XP Pro
    512 Mb RAM
    74,000+ Free HD space
    Antivirus in ZoneAlarm S.S

I think that I have narrowed it down to one problem. I recently reformatted my drive and reinstalled everything. Sooo, long story short, I have to sit through numerous windows updates now. Which, of course, slow down my internet browsing considerably. Thanks for the assist!

5. comperroruter

Yeah, I have noticed a considerable in increase in resource usage. I ordered another 512Mb stick of RAM which should allow ZA to run its little heart off without effecting everything else I do.

Thanks!

6. bigbazza

Not sure what you mean by 74,000+ Free HD space. Is that 74mb free, or 74 gigs free?
    You should not even notice ZA is running, except if it reports something untoward. Have you tried running it without the Antivirus portion of ZA. Maybe try another AV like Avast.
    Avast ..............www.majorgeeks.com/download1968.html
    Maybe try Process Explorer to see what is actually running and hogging your CPU cycles, if the slow connection continues after you have finished with the updates.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  7. comperroruter

I meant 74 Gb. I have determined that it is not ZA, but the fact that windows update is going nuts because I reformatted recently. DSL is on the way now. No more problem. Thanks for the PE link though, that will prove to be useful.

Thanks!!:)

8. bigbazza

Glad you solved your problem. Make sure that you load PE at bootup and mimimise it. It really helps, telling you what is going on at any time, in real time. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds