Realtek HD audio driver problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by keke, Jun 8, 2008.

1. keke

keke Private E-2

I got this new motherboard Msi p31 neo-f and installed it, but i cant get my sound working. I have installed the latest drivers and still it isn't working. My OS is win xp. Allso in device management i cant find that realtek hd audio driver, is it broken or what ?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Did you install the chipset properly?
    Did you enable onboard sound in the BIOS?
    Check that Windows Audio Service is started.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

These are 3 different fixes for Realtek problems

KB835221 Hotfix
    1. Remove "Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus"
    2. Download from Microsoft the KB835221 hotfix and install it:
    KB835221 Hotfix: http://couponmeister.com/blog/HD_Audio/KB835221.exe
    3. Restart the system, and XP will automatically detect the devices
    4. After this you should be able to install Realtek drivers.

Unknown PCI Device
    First, uninstall the PCI device in Device Manager and shut down then re-boot.
    Did that fix the problem?
    Download this file, unpack it into your folder of choice. (Q888111 UAA add-on)
    Go to Control Panel>Device Manager>PCI Device>Update Driver> Choose the folder where you extracted it to, then you have to find the .sys file from the UAA HD Add-on folder and other .sys from Realtek's driver folder and re-boot and it'll automatically activate it.
    The UAA HD Add-on file is here: http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/06/11/81540.aspx Listed as Q888111.

Normal fix:

1) In Device Manager, remove the High Definition audio device (or the unknown device, if there is one) under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    2) Go into Device Manager>System, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)
    3) Uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (you may just have a folder that says Realtek) through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    KB888111
    In Add/Remove Programs, look for the KB888111 update and uninstall it. (It may have uninstalled in last step)
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer.
    To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB888111 (may be in SP3)
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.
    Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html
    Reboot, but don't let Windows install the driver.
    Install your driver, then reboot, again.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_Hi...P03_d4902.html
    The UAA should be contained in this download.

3. nathan3011

nathan3011 Private E-2

I have the same problem, I bought a new sound card and it actually had on the motherboard details that it was the recommended type of sound card, but even after installing the driver my sound still won't play out of the speakers they will only play through the headphones.

I've tested the speakers on my dads computer and they work fine, and they were working before i changed the sound card so wondering if maybe sound cards aren't all compatible with every type of computer speakers? or if as above maybe i haven't installed it properly?

Thanks

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Nathan: please start your own thread. This thread is over 6 months old.

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds