help with a fixmbr

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kari, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Kari

Kari Private E-2

Hi, I have been posting over in software, not knowing at first I have a hardware problem, I guess. I tried running a chkdsk /r but it didn't work, so someone suggested I run a fixmbr. I now have a message that the computer has a non standard or invalid master boot record, it may damage the partition tables if I proceed. this could cause all the partitions on the current hard drive to become inaccessible. then they ask if I want to continue. I don't have any clue if I do. Does anyone out there? My computer crashed before I could get my 9 year old son's vacation pics off, and I am just trying to get it working long enough to get them off. Do I want to continue?

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

If the file system is damaged I wouldn't change it at all. My suggest is to boot up a linux live cd and mount your windows hard drive and see if you can see the files. I like to use Knoppix for this.

You could also move the hard drive to a another comptuer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds