Pc Keeps making folder clicking noises (x4) and freezing during noises

Discussion in 'Software' started by ocm1984, May 26, 2010.

1. ocm1984

ocm1984 Private E-2

My pc keeps making click noises (like that of opening a folder) every minute or so, it clicks four times - during which the pc freezes! The noise is a speaker one and not hardware; I haven't installed anything recently... help!

Cheers

Ollie

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Post what processes are running in your task manager. To get there press the Ctrl, Alt and Del keys all at the same time then click on processes.

3. ocm1984

ocm1984 Private E-2

Theres quite a few processes! The one that only appears during the noises is: bcont_nm.exe

I can't end this as it's only fleeting- I also don't know what it is!

thanks

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Just to be on the safe side, I suggest you head over to the malware forum to get your PC checked out. Read this thread first and follow all instructions in it: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

In researching the file through Google, The file is known as "Sunrise Internet Assistant". It is considered adware by most of the sites I found. It comes from a company called SupportSoft. It can be part of a program called TalkTalk or Sunrise and is probably triggered by some other program. If you have either of the two programs installed, try uninstalling them. Alternately you could search your HDD for the file and change it's name to something like bcont_nm.ex~ and see if that alone is enough to stop the program without other errors. If that generates other errors, return it to it's original name let us know.

This is suspected of being a KeyLogger so deny it access to the internet if you can through your firewall and also don't do anything that requires an online password like online banking until you resolve the problem.

6. ocm1984

ocm1984 Private E-2

I'll try the above... and get back to! Thanks for you replies....

7. ocm1984

ocm1984 Private E-2

All sorted! I searched for the .exe and then changed the extension... turns out it was from my isp - i think it was monitoring my broadband usage patterns?

Thanks for all your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds