Setup...

Discussion in 'Software' started by INeedAGig1210, Apr 23, 2005.

1. INeedAGig1210

INeedAGig1210 Private E-2

Now...I was in a rush to get my computer built and the only goof I made was ordering the upgrade version of Windows XP Home. Now, I managed to get a Windows 98 OEM (burned onto a CD-R) to install first to be able to install the upgrade cd, but when trying to do it, it won't read the CD.

Any advice?

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You shouldn't need to install Win98 to install XP using the upgrade version. When you install XP, it will search your hard drive for a valid OS to upgrade from. When it doesn't find one, it will ask you to insert the CD from a previous valid OS. Once it's happy with that, you will be instructed to re-insert the XP CD and continue.

You may still have a problem in that your machine is not reading your 98 CD-- it may be bad.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Provide some system spec's.
    Make sure your cdrom is connected properly, cables jumpers etc.
    Make sure in bios Boot order is set to CD before HDD.

You can use upgrade CD without installing the previous OS, just insert the upgrade cd, run setup format etc. during install it will ask for the previous OS, you insert it, windows only check cd to see that you have it, no files will be copied from it, then you will need to reinsert the upgrade and continue install.

4. INeedAGig1210

Everything is set right, and I have my BIOS configured properly. It's just that I get an error message that says it can't read the disc or it's not a valid windows cd.

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Both 98 & upgarde cd unreadable?
    Can you boot to your upgrade CD?

If it's only the 98 cd, try the original not a copy.
    or borrow a friends.

6. INeedAGig1210

The Upgrade CD reads just fine, but when it tells me to put in a previous version Windows CD and I try the burned copy of Windows 98 OEM, it does not read the burned CD.

I do not have an original copy of any previous version of Windows.

7. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

If the burned CD is not being read to install what's on it, chances are it won't be read to validate the XP install, either.

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

9. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

That is because the Windows XP Upgrade checks the media type when it reads the CD. If it is CD-R or CD-RW, it won't read the CD. The OS CD must be an original MS Windows CD. Just another Microsoft Anti-Piracy method.

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Not True!
    You Can use a copy of windows on CD-R or CD-RW.
    Not all coping software can make exact copy of such, and copy speed can lead to errors.
    It is Legal to make one backup copy of software you own, although I dont think that is the case with this thread and for that this is my last post on this thread.

11. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Yes it is legal to make a backup copy of your software. That isn't the issue here. Microsoft wants to stop piracy of its software, namely Windows and Office. If the CD is readable by the drive, they I would have to beleive that the XP Upgrade is checking for a Geniune Microsoft Windows OS CD, not a burned copy. It is a simply task for setup to check media type, since it is hard coded into the CD. And if setup finds it to be anything other than a Original Microsoft CD than it won't read the CD.

12. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

WRONG!!!

Micro$$oft doesn't use any copy protection on any of it's software CD's, the only exception being games like Age of Empires etc that are protected by SafeDisc.

Its operating system CD's don't use any copy protection measures (apart from Product Activation off-course) and can be easily copied by any burner and basic burning software.

13. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I stand corrected.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds