Internet not working, can ping IP, cant ping domain

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rufomatt, Aug 8, 2005.

1. rufomatt

rufomatt Private E-2

My Internet stopped working today. I can ping IP's but cannot ping domains. This seemed to have happened out of nowhere. The guy at Time Warner Cable said, "You know, sometimes the check engine light just comes in on in your car. Things Happen." Hopefully someone can come up with a better answer than that.

My OS is Windows ME, I use Firefox, run Adaware multiple times a week, and yesturday ran Trend Micros online virus scan. Let me know if there is any other info needed. Thanks.

2. simplejohn

simplejohn Private E-2

Hey rufomatt

I would try and reset my network and internet settings
    Try to remove and the install you NIC.
    After that try to check your TCP/IP settings on your NIC properties and see if thier set to obtain IP automaticly.

As you tech support guy said :

:)

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2005
  3. pacvan

pacvan Private First Class

I had EXACTLY the same problem with a computer I was fixing for someone. They have Windows ME and use Firefox, also. I tried everything I know to fix this problem, I spent over 8 hours on it. Just for the heck of I called tech support. I usually don't do this because most of the time it doesn't help, especially when you know more than tech support, and they usually treat me like I don't know how to push the computer's power button. Well, this time it helped, the guy said that sometimes the DNS in Windows 9x can become corrupt. I had assumed it had to due with the DNS. This makes sense since I can ping websites but can't view them. The guy said the only way to fix the issue was to reinstall the OS. I tried to find an alternate to resolve the issue, but couldn't. I finally reinstalled the OS. That fixed the problem.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Is this dialup, cable, dsl, or satellite?

Do you use a dynamic or static ip?

Have you tried (at the command prompt).

ipconfig /release_all (clears your ip)
    ipconfig /renew_all (renews your ip)

then try browsing the internet.

If it still fails, then try:

winsockfix (similar to winsock xp fix but for windows 95-me)

http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip

If you can't run this file, then you may be required to install:

VBRUN60sp6 found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...61-7A9C-43E7-9117-F673077FFB3C&displaylang=en

5. SoloTraveller

SoloTraveller Private First Class

Sounds like your DNS settings aren't working. Presumably you've rebooted already, so flushing your DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns) doesn't matter. Check your DNS settings in IPCONFIG, and try ping'ing them. Might also want to try a quick lookup using those DNS servers (nslookup). If there are lookup issues with your DNS servers, try hard-wiring the DNS config in the TCP/IP Properties to a couple public DNS server somewhere on the 'net, and see where that gets you.

Presumably you're not blocking DNS requests on your firewall, no? ;)

6. pacvan

pacvan Private First Class

I tried all of these, and none worked. There was no firewall. I even logged onto the router's config console, and all settings were correct. I believe the easiest way for rufomatt to resolve this problem is to reinstall the OS, even though it may be a major inconvenience.

The computer I worked on with this problem connects through a wireless isp, which uses microwave radio signals, but is similar to DSL.

The local router dynamically assigns private IP addresses to the computers, but the external gateway has a static address.

I am answering these questions as if it was my post so rufomatt can compare the situations.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds