Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamesp81, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jamesp81

jamesp81 Private E-2

I am attempting to RDC from a Windows 2000 professional workstation to a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition machine. The purpose for this is because once we put the server into operation, it will not be physically convenient to get to, so we wish to administer it remotely.

The RDC will work just fine for a while (around 20 mins). However, after a short period of time the server machine will become unresponsive. Programs stop responding in the RDC. If I physically go over to the server and move the mouse to shutoff the screen saver, all I have is a desktop background with no login prompt. Ctrl+Alt+Delete will not bring up the task manager. Reboot by holding in the power button is the only way to fix it at this point.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would recommend that you check the event logs on both machines to see if they indicate any sort of a problem. To do so, please follow the steps below:

1. Right-click My Computer
    2. Select 'Manage'
    3. Expand 'Event Viewer'

Then, if you do find any yellow exclamation warnings or red error x's, you can take the event ID number to www.eventid.net, and search for the problem there. (Here's a tip: they reference KB articles with links telling you to subscribe... you can copy the number part and search for the article at Microsoft)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds