Homegroup can't see printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mimsy, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I have a weird situation going on with my Windows 7 homegroup, and the printer connected to the computer in the next room. Both the PCs are in the same homegroup, and when I try, I can access files and folders between my laptop and the gaming desktop just fine.

The desktop is on and awake (I can hear it play music) and my laptop lists the printer in "Devices and printers" and it also shows up as a remote printer under "Network". However, I can't print to it when I try to print the test page, and when I go to HomeGroup in Control Panel to add the printer there, I don't even have the option to "install printer", that every guide I can find claims should be there.

The HomeGroup settings on both the laptop and the desktop are set to share printers, and the printer properties are set to share the device with other computers on the network. I've tried a few different things, but I'm kind of stuck now.

I even tried the Windows Troubleshooter... I'm getting desperate! Help! :(

EDIT:
    Almost forgot, the printer is an HP Color LaserJet 2600n. It works fine when printing from the desktop.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. Mimsy

UPDATE:

I came home from work today, and The Guy told me the printer had printed a coupel fo test pages, and wanted to know if I did that? I said, "yes, last night". So apparently it does print, but very delayed...

Does that help anyone? :)

3. Mimsy

UPDATE 2:
    I played around with the printer some more last night, and even though the homegroup still can't see it, I can see it in my list of "Devices and Printers", and I can print from the laptop now.

So my homegroup problem persists but I have printer access, which was my big problem. So I'm good. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds